Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help, I think i just fried my servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Help, I think i just fried my servo

Well i was out crawling to today, and i got a small puff of smoke which i wasn't sure where it came from. So i just got to looking at it and noticed that my servo is having serious problems:-(. it is a 7955tg. So whats happennig is that it will still crank right with what seems like full power, but nothing left. but if i try to twist it to the left with my hand it won't budge but to the right i can do it freely, It seems very strange to me since it still kinda works, could this be because the circuitry got fried, and can i replace it. (i Can't believe i fried it because i was only crawling for 1 battery pack, and it wasn't even hot when the smoke puffed out from somewhere, And it was like 15 degrees outside when i was crawling) if you guys need a vid to help explain i can get one
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I just found an issue with a buddies Airtronics 94780 Servo. His would be very hard to turn at times, I had to borrow it for a comp. Worked great all day. Took it home, Wouldnt turn to the left. Turns out if you take the top case off and look at the underneath of it. There are the 2 brass bushings for the side gears and the hole for the output. The center brass bushing hole was all wallowed out. It would line up sometimes and not others. Put alot of strain on the servo which would make it really hot and do weird things. Never let out the smoke.
May take a look there for binding.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Did yours make any sounds when it wouldn't turn. mine won't make a sound at all to go one way
Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Got Worms?

If it is the circuitry can i use circuitry out of another servo, i have the 225mg sitting in a box, could i use that
Old 01-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Well i just opened up the case and yea i burnt up part of the circuitry, its the black thing on the outside edge, any idea if this can be replaced

Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

hitec has excellent customer service. put it back together and send it to them with a copy of your recipt, and they will fix it free and send it back to ya
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock addict View Post
hitec has excellent customer service. put it back together and send it to them with a copy of your recipt, and they will fix it free and send it back to ya
I've got an email going out to them tonight with my problem we'll see what they say, does anyone know where a diagram is to put this thing back together properly (theres to many gears)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I've got an email going out to them tonight with my problem we'll see what they say, does anyone know where a diagram is to put this thing back together properly (theres to many gears)
as far as I've seen they go together the same way. So if you have one laying around just pop it open and carefully take each piece off. Looks like this, maybe a little different size etc.

craigerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Got Worms?

ok, i think i figured out how all the gears go, but i think i got dirt in there when i opened it up so i'm gonna clean all the gears but what type of grease should i use and how much, i've been using hi-temp disk- and wheel bearing grease in my lcc axles, will this work for the servo
Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
ok, i think i figured out how all the gears go, but i think i got dirt in there when i opened it up so i'm gonna clean all the gears but what type of grease should i use and how much, i've been using hi-temp disk- and wheel bearing grease in my lcc axles, will this work for the servo
i'm not 100% sure but it looks almost like white lithium grease. if so you should be able to get it at local auto stores etc.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Got Worms?

well i called hitec and they won't tell me nothing other than i have to send it in, hopefully the email i sent them will get a different reply
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
well i called hitec and they won't tell me nothing other than i have to send it in, hopefully the email i sent them will get a different reply
i'd like to know too. for maintenance type stuff.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigerk View Post
i'd like to know too. for maintenance type stuff.
What would you like too know
Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:
What would you like too know
whats in there for a lubricant/grease
Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigerk View Post
whats in there for a lubricant/grease
i did't ask hitec what they put in it, i was emailed them about my circuit board, its a grey grease, it probably is litium but i put some lithium grease in it that we use for our big equipment like skid steers and trackhoes, probably the wrong stuff oh well