Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need help making winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need help making winch

ok, I am making a winch out of a servo. I did every thing the tech said to do. when i hooked the winch up to a 9v it wouldnt turn. Please help me im desprate i have cut the ends off two servos.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Even when you convert a servo to continuous rotation, it still needs a signal from the radio to run. Radio control servos rely on square waveform pulse width modulation. Basically, the receiver sends a pulsed signal which the servo interprets. Think of it as tapping a switch very fast, each tap moving the servo arm a minute increment. This is what controls how far, and how fast the servo turns, instead of being like an on/off type switch.

So, you will need a three channel radio in order to control your winch servo independently using your controller. Otherwise, if you want your servo motor to be just like a gear motor that has one speed activates by a seperate on/off switch, you can always gut the electronics out of the servo, and just hook up the motor wires to a battery with a switch. But it wouldn't function nearly as nicely as if it was controlled by the radio. Running it off the radio, you will be able to control the speed of the winch much more easily.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 01-05-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default well

Well im gunna gut it i just bought a bounch of stuff and cant buy any thing more right now.

Thank you
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm using a control box that cantains a micro-processor that will send the pulse signal to the servo. Unfortunately It will not have any modulation. But My Warn doesn't either.

Oh and I don't think any standard servo can handle 9 volts. I wouldn't hook that up again. You could fry the servo.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote