Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: frame mounted servo with panhard - buzzing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #1

Question frame mounted servo with panhard - buzzing

Guys,

I have been a member here for awhile now, but I rarely post - mostly because I learn all I need from searching and reading many of your helpful posts... but I have a peculiar issue that - I am not sure if its a problem or not.

I have a frame mounted Hitec 645MG on a Delrin L-trail frame. Because of this the frame flexes alot, so I made a panhard to keep it from flexing. It works fabulous. The panhard is set up under regular conditions - meaning the truck simply sitting under its own weight. I run the suspension half droop - so I have negative and positive travel. I have some, but minimal bump steer with this set up.

The rig has an FXR speed control and a CC 10 amp BEC delivering 6V to the servo. The servo also has a Ofna high strength servo saver on it. I am using the stock Losi 2.4g factory MRC radio and have set the end points so that everything does not stall out or turn too far etc. I have the steering trim and servo horn set that it is centered properly.

Everything sound good right? Well, when I turn on everthing to use it, the servo hums like its under load - yet its still centered and has not moved. I can steer fine - and sometimes after a few twists of the steering control the hum goes away... sometimes it does not, and I have to cycle the suspension a few times and double check my EPA and trim... then it goes away. My truck is not that heavy at all... and I am beginning to wonder of a frame mounted setup with panhard will always put some load on a servo via the steering arm due to the nature of this suspension set up.

So I am wondering how to rememdy this, or if I don't need to worry about it. It really is quite minimal and only when at rest depending on how the suspension and steering was loaded prior to stopping/starting the truck. I am planning to get a new radio, and was wondering if a radio equipped with subtrims and advanced servo centering would be better for this application?
picard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

a slight bit of servo hum is normal, i wouldnt worry about it.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

my hobbico cs170 does the same thing on my comp crawler running 7V through it. not sure why, but it works just fine.
racerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

Default Thanks,

Yeah, it works just fine as well, - when the servo was axle mounted it never really made sounds, but I guess frame mount has a slight load on it.

Thanks guys.
picard34 is offline   Reply With Quote