Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3 racing winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 3 racing winch

I have a dx6i im in a scaler. Not sure what is the best way to wire it it. im going to be running a 2200 3s lipo and 4ws and a dig, with lights so im wondering if it would be wise to run the lights and winch off a seperate battery or run all off the same? If so just use a Y? I am not sure how much i will run the winch but in winter i plan to use it more. thanks for the help
pontiacfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

In my F350 I am using a DX6i. I have a winch and lights that I power with a seperate 6 cell pack. The lights are switched from the radio as is the winch. I bought some Hitec MS-55 micro servos and small micro switches to turn the winch and lights on and off with.

The winch I just switch the signal wire, white wire, on and off and use the right stick to conrol the in and out. The lights are switched with the hot wire, red wire, to turn them on and off.

I also run a receiver pack. In my scaler I do not worry about weight and it is going about 12 to 14 lbs.....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Did you guys mod the DX6i? I was thinking about using mine for my scale since I don't fly anymore but wonder about the left stick not going to center.. Any info for it?
Thanks
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

mine is not modded as i just bought a heli to try to fly. i do have parts to self center the left stick but unsure if im going to use. might sell the parts. I dont have tons of room for a 2nd battery at the moment either. Also could u use a 3 position switch to use winch like dig?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

any help please? can i use a y harness and be ok?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
www.team3sixrc.com

Same thing as using a DIG. If the radio has a 3 position switch, then you use that for the winch. as far as the lights go. If you are using a light box, then you run the lights off the light box that plugs into the receiver using a Y harness which most of them come with. If you done. just wire in a 9v battery and an on/off switch. Easy as Pie.
use this chart as the way to wire it.
as far as looking at a view of what I am talking about. here is a pic of my timberwolf wired up like I said. get an XBEC, youll need it.

I have a switch wired up inside my truck to a toggle and the 9V is in line. I just plug in the 9V and turn on the switch
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I dig not mod my DX6i because I also have a helicopter. With the Tamiya F350 I still run the 3 speed transmission. I have a shift gate on the throttle stick and it helps in finding center a bit better.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Mic
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Same thing as using a DIG. If the radio has a 3 position switch, then you use that for the winch. as far as the lights go. If you are using a light box, then you run the lights off the light box that plugs into the receiver using a Y harness which most of them come with. If you done. just wire in a 9v battery and an on/off switch. Easy as Pie.
use this chart as the way to wire it.
as far as looking at a view of what I am talking about. here is a pic of my timberwolf wired up like I said. get an XBEC, youll need it.

I have a switch wired up inside my truck to a toggle and the 9V is in line. I just plug in the 9V and turn on the switch

I see you run the winch on 3s 11.1 volt. Have you had any problems running it on 3s?
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
www.team3sixrc.com

No, because I am running an XBEC
Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ok so i just have to redo the end that goes to the battery with the winch controller to it and shoudl be good to go. i also running a castle bec with the fxr. thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Mic
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No, because I am running an XBEC

I see that in the diaram the power for the winch and the winch and the winch controler run at the full 11.1v directly from the battery. Or is the controler and winch motor powered though the receiver (and the BEC)

I was under the impression the winch motor was powered directly from the battery and not thought the BEC.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
I see that in the diaram the power for the winch and the winch and the winch controler run at the full 11.1v directly from the battery. Or is the controler and winch motor powered though the receiver (and the BEC)

I was under the impression the winch motor was powered directly from the battery and not thought the BEC.
The XBEC is in line with the Winch controller, So instead of running 11.1v Im running 6v into the winch
Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The XBEC is in line with the Winch controller, So instead of running 11.1v Im running 6v into the winch

I see what mic is saying......you sure your only getting 6v?
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
www.team3sixrc.com

Yeah, why Because I re-read this and still cant understand what you guys think?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Because the power wires for the winch are hooked to your battery (11.1V). Mine is wired the same way as yours and I am getting 11 volts to mine.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #16
www.team3sixrc.com

I'll check the voltage again tommarow,. but the last time I checked I was getting 6.1v on the meter. The