Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: radio shopping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default radio shopping

i am in the market for a good radio, and i only have a few criteria to meet.

1. spread spectrum
2. multi model memory
3. around $100

i am not looking for anything too fancy nor special, i am looking for this for a scaler as well as my sportsman rig. right now i am looking at a futaba they are a company that i like i have had alot of good experience with but i also don't mine checking out another company. and suggestions would be appreciated. the only thing i am worried about with the radio i previously mentioned is that i cant find any reviews on it. so i am not sure about the quality, and i have not bought a new futaba for many years.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Considering that you want the radio to have multiple memory, do you think that a 2 channel radio is enough? If so, then the futaba you linked to would be fine. If you are in need of a 3 channel radio, there are a few options with 2-position switches for the 3rd channel (these include the Airtronix MX-3FG, Airtronix MX-3 Sport, and the DSM1 version of the Spektrum DX3.0 which can be found heavily discounted now). If you need 3-positions or more on the 3rd channel you could look into the Futaba 3PM-X but this will destroy your goal of around $100.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #3

A Main Hobbies has the Spektrum DX3.0 for $130. It has 3 channels and a 4 model memory. This is the radio I have and it has been great. I have used it in club races for my B4 and have never had a problem. I'm going to use it for the Venom Creeper that should be here in the next couple of days.
PirateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Spektrum DX3E... About $109CAD here in Canada... Better 3CH workings than the DX3S and DX3.0... 3P, 2P or linear 3CH operation... No fancy display, no DSM2, but, a very good 3CH radio that has a useful 3rd channel...

Spektrum DX3E Radio...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

as i said before, this is only going to be used in a couple of trucks one of which is a sportsman rig and the other is a scaler. if i use it in anything else its going to be my 4tec. so i have no real need for the third channel and i figure sticking with a 2 channel on my current budget could get me a couple more bells and whistles. now i am also not giving up on finishing my clod based super, but for that i am looking at a cheapo park flier radio.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ok, new question, i am looking at a stick radio, and i know you needed to in the old days change the frequencies for air and ground, but with a spectrum radio do ground and air frequencies make a difference? i am looking at a $100 park flier radio for my clod super build.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
MODERHATER™

You will be ok using a stick Spektrum for ground use, no big deal there.

I would look for a good used DX-6 I see them go for cheap all the time in the for sale section.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
j0e
Rock Crawler

ive heard only great reviews on the 2pl.
as for spektrums for air or surface; if its 2.4 it doesnt matter from what ive read.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote