Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Interference source

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Interference source

Running T45 FXR combo, CC BEC, 7955tg, and TQ3 with traxxas receiver on a Creeper. The servo is CONSTANTLY twitching. Not a lot, you can hear it more than anything. Did a little reading and I guess that's fairly normal. I read its the servo searching for center.

Other than that I will get interference from time to time. Not really consistently, just occasionally during a crawl session. Happens more frequently towards the end of the pack life. Both steering and 'throttle' twitching in short bursts.

I've got my ESC on top of my front links, my receiver taped under the battery tray behind the trans, and the BEC along side the trans.

BEC is only at 5.1v and is wired to power the receiver. I was thinking of wiring it to just power the servo, but thought I'd see if there were any obvious problems that I'm missing.

pic for reference

Front is to the right. I'm running an antenna tube as well (not shown in pic), but I stuff it under the body. So the antenna is up off of the electronics but still under the body. Any ideas?
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
Happens more frequently towards the end of the pack life.
I suspect that will be the cause.

What are the specs of your batteries? C rating?

When you get the glitches are you bound up a little bit? Perhaps a bit more pressure on the front end?

Could be the battery not coping with the amp draw when running low...

Cheers,
Mike.
The CrAwLL BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

its a new 1600mah NiMH pack. Glitches don't occur under load necessarily, but like I said it definitely occurs more often when the battery gets low.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

See if it gets better with the antenna ran outside the body. I tried everything to get rid of glitches for 8 or 9 months with AM, 2.4 will probably fix it if you can afford it.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ditch the Tamiya connectors!!

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I'll just deal with it before I go 2.4 haha. I'd really like to keep the antenna inside the body, for cosmetic purposes of course. I'll try a couple things, and if they don't work I'll route the antenna outside the body.

Its just hard for me to understand, some people can put a piece of lexan under the body and loop the antenna through that, and have the receiver right next to the esc without any issues.

Would my looping of the bec output wire around the chassis cause interference? Maybe I'll start there, if that doesn't work I'll wire the bec to just power the servo, if that doesn't work I'll re-route the antenna.

Will the connector type affect interference? I'd run deans, but I suck at soldering lol. Maybe if they came with leads on em so I could just splice wires...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Did you ever solve this problem? I have a similar one and would like to know what worked for you.

Having a problem while getting my 3pm-x set up
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Make sure your antenna isn't against ANYTHING aluminum of carbon fiber... Re-route it or put some good plastic insulators between the lead and whatever it has to run by... Aluminum and CF are notorious for screwing with radio signals.. Even DSM can get a bit tetchy with that... Make sure there's no loops in the lead where it contacts itself, either.. That makes the antenna as long as it is to that loop cross...

Routing antenna's can be a pain with the longer, AM/FM leads... You want to keep as much of it as vertical as possible... Sure you can run it in a tube along the length of the chassis, but, what kind of signal will it get when pointed directly at the radio? Little or none... Take a Zapstrap or a piece of lexan and wind the lead around it, making sure no parts of the loops contact each other... I can't find the pics I posted about it as it seems PutFile toasted them... Basicly coil the lead around the strip or zapstrap like a spring... It gives the advantage of a "shorter" antenna but keeping it in place where it can still get a signal from any direction and maintaining the signal umbrella...

Make sure the antenna lead is secure, a few broken strands in the lead can cause issues... Make sure the antenna in you TX is in solid, too...

However, AM will glitch regardless... I've seen many AM rigs glitch even with the TX less than a foot away... FM will still glitch, too, but nowhere as frequent or as bad...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote