Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: CC Sidewinder set up issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CC Sidewinder set up issues

Hey guys,
Im having a real problem with setting up my sidewinder. I put my new sidewinder in my super with twin 55t integy lathe motors wired up in series. With my Moped ESC this worked perfectly. Now that im trying to set my sidewinder up and push the trigger to WOT, all im getting is the wheels shaking back and forth like the ESC is confused and i dont have reverse and i dont have part throttle or anything. What am i doing wrong here?
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

It is in brushless mode. Im almost positive you need the castle link to get it out of brushless mode, even though it does say in the manual that their is a manual way to do so.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

ya i had problem like this but i was just running i 45t in my axial and it was setup for brushless instead of brushed had to program it with the castle link
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well thats crap. Alright then......I guess i could get the wire for the Link at a hobby store right? Ive got a Hobbytown near my house.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
Well thats crap. Alright then......I guess i could get the wire for the Link at a hobby store right? Ive got a Hobbytown near my house.
Yeah they should have one, they might even program it for you if you dont want to buy one, but i highly recommend buying the link in case you want to make adjustments later.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

or maybe a Castle field link...
deephis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I will just confirm that you need a link to set up your sidewinder for brushed mode. I tried 6 times to set it to brushed following the instructions in the book.

Some research led me to the fact that there is a glitch in the programing that does not allow you to do it manually. The only way to upgrade your ESCs firmware is with a link. . .

So I got a link, not a biggy, but had I known I would have had to go through all this and drop the extra dime on the link, I would have just bought a different esc all together.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

i got my sidewinder for christmas, and of coarse my lhs was closed for 4 days. i managed to program it for brushed mode manualy, although it was a giant pain. that got my truck up and running, however the first day my lhs was open again i bought the castle link. imho, the esc should come with the link as its pretty much needed.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
I will just confirm that you need a link to set up your sidewinder for brushed mode. I tried 6 times to set it to brushed following the instructions in the book.

Some research led me to the fact that there is a glitch in the programing that does not allow you to do it manually. The only way to upgrade your ESCs firmware is with a link. . .

So I got a link, not a biggy, but had I known I would have had to go through all this and drop the extra dime on the link, I would have just bought a different esc all together.

Drunk

This is only a problem on the first firmware version, to my knowledge. It should go into brushed mode unless the ESC is really old.

You can send it in to Castle for a firmware update if you don't want to buy the link, but the link is VERY useful to have.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Official Cook of the ECC

I can't believe people complain about a 20 dollar castle link.

Being able to update firmware, change ESC settings much easier and adjust the Castle BEC's voltage make it worth every damn penny.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
I can't believe people complain about a 20 dollar castle link.
No one was complaining.

We were simply giving him options in case he does not have/want to spend the $20 bucks on one right now.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Oh believe me i want to buy it. But the problem im having now is finding one locally here. None of the shops around my neighborhood carry it due to the fact that its so cheap that its the shipping itself is not worth it, but they sell the CC ESCs and BECs but not the link...i find that odd...but thats just me. I guess i`ll order up the link and just wait to drive my Super....i dont want to reinstall the moped and then take it out and reinstall the sidewinder again lol its a PITA
Old 02-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
i got my sidewinder for christmas, and of coarse my lhs was closed for 4 days. i managed to program it for brushed mode manualy, although it was a giant pain. that got my truck up and running, however the first day my lhs was open again i bought the castle link. imho, the esc should come with the link as its pretty much needed.
It should come like the MM that has a regular usb port on it.
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr104 View Post
It should come like the MM that has a regular usb port on it.

The Sidewinder does have the micro usb port (i think thats what its called?) but it doesn't include the castle link like the Mamba Max does.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
The Sidewinder does have the micro usb port (i think thats what its called?) but it doesn't include the castle link like the Mamba Max does.
the sidewinder does not have a usb port on it, the castle link must be used to program it.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default Wow even MORE issues.......

Ok, i finally got my hands on a Castle Link. And man am i having a bad time with this. First off....i installed the Link......and i can only do everything in the Demo mode...so no programming for me. While i have my Link plugged in, the link adapter itself gets really hot. and now the red light on the link adapter is not coming on anymore. And im reading in the Castle website and it say i have to unplug the CBA in order to use the link......wtf is the CBA? Im about done with this....i bought a rooster before this and the damn thing overheats...i dont have much luck with ESCs lately Has anyone had any issues with Castle Link?

Last edited by ToTheMAXXcrawler; 02-25-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Anyone have any ideas?? Im completely lost on what to do
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #18
jwo
Rock Crawler

i never have or had any issues with my link. just plug mine right in. pull up the programming. it reads what i have hooked up and them i mess with the setting. save it then done. do you have the battery unplugged from the esc? when i do mine. i do it with no battery. and when i plug it in, the yellow light on the esc kicks on. i have noticed that the light on my link turns on and off, but i have had no issues overheating or anything. sorry to hear about your issues.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Hey its cool. When i emailed Castle about it, they think it might be a faulty Link i bought. So i got one coming from Castle themselves. Thank god i have a crappy spare ESC laying around i can put back into my Super while i wait for the new Link to arrive. So you can use the Link without plugging in a battery to the ESC even if you have the BEC wired in already?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

if you removed the red wire from the esc to receiver plug, you need to hook it back up to use the link, or just plug the battery pack in and turn the switch on. however, if the red wire is still in the plug dont have the pack hooked up, itll cause issues