Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Soldering Iron Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Soldering Iron Question

Well today I made my first failed attempt at soldering.

Decided to use a chunk of wire im going to run from my motor to a traxxas plug. I got both surfaces tinned well enough but my iron wouldnt get the tab or wire hot enough to get them to fuse together well.

It is an old one of my dads and Im guessing it just doesnt throw enough heat quick enough. I could feel the wire getting warm through the insulation. I just quit before I screwed anything up. Im about ready to take my wires, tabs, motor and esc to my LHS and have him do it since Im so frustrated.

Do any of you have a recomendation on what soldering Iron to buy? Im probably going to talk to my Snap-On guy tommorrow too.
Drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drey View Post
Well today I made my first failed attempt at soldering.

Decided to use a chunk of wire im going to run from my motor to a traxxas plug. I got both surfaces tinned well enough but my iron wouldnt get the tab or wire hot enough to get them to fuse together well.

It is an old one of my dads and Im guessing it just doesnt throw enough heat quick enough. I could feel the wire getting warm through the insulation. I just quit before I screwed anything up. Im about ready to take my wires, tabs, motor and esc to my LHS and have him do it since Im so frustrated.

Do any of you have a recomendation on what soldering Iron to buy? Im probably going to talk to my Snap-On guy tommorrow too.
For 14 ga wire I use a 45w Craftsman from Sears. For my 12 ga wire (1/8 scale trugg) I use a 60w I picked up from Amain for $9. I just can't justify a Hakko when my $9 60w can do all my 12 ga no problem...

I am assuming you are soldering 14ga. Get the 45w from Sears.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yup 14 guage. I just checked dads old Iron its a 30w
Old 02-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I bought on from lowes for less than $20.00.
It is a gun type but very small and has a temp boost. I tried with a small iron and didnt do to good. I just soldered 4 deans plugs onto 12g wire w/ no problems
bergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i use an adjustable 100w iron i picked up for $35 a few years ago. it has a large chisel tip and works great for rc stuff.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks, its got a point tip on it, although dad doesnt have any other tips for it. Being it is sunday Im going to start supper and have a beer. Maybe work on my front bumper a bit.

I had the tab in a pair of vice grips and that seemed to work well to keep everything steady. If I got over the line I just planned on filing it down.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Oh yeah. A flat chisel tip is the best for getting hot.

Good luck. Soldering takes a bit to figure out. Also flux is your friend. Use it.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The classic Weller 40 watt pencil style soldering iron is good for bigger wires. Has a 1/4" chisel tip. About $20 at Lowe's or Home Depot. Get some 60/40 or 63/37 lead/tin solder, not the lead free crap. The real lead solder melts at a much lower temp. And as mentioned before, get some flux.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:

NOOOO!! Snap-On will rape your wallet for a soldering iron or gun. Like mentioned Go to Sears and get the Weller 40 watt with chisel tip, 17.99
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I got a smokin deal on a Blue Point 150-400 watt gun that was repo'd. $35 for a $120 gun seemed like a no brainer for me.

Ive got my motor and male disconnect for it done soldered. Just want to clean the excess solder off. Going to do my Rooster Crawler female end tommorrow night.

I think I tinned my motor tabs to much the soldered connections are kind of big. Oh well its a learning process.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
The classic Weller 40 watt pencil style soldering iron is good for bigger wires. Has a 1/4" chisel tip. About $20 at Lowe's or Home Depot. Get some 60/40 or 63/37 lead/tin solder, not the lead free crap. The real lead solder melts at a much lower temp. And as mentioned before, get some flux.
x2
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I got a smokin deal on a Blue Point 150-400 watt gun that was repo'd. $35 for a $120 gun seemed like a no brainer for me.

Ive got my motor and male disconnect for it done soldered. Just want to clean the excess solder off. Going to do my Rooster Crawler female end tommorrow night.

I think I tinned my motor tabs to much the soldered connections are kind of big. Oh well its a learning process.

I wish I could get those kinda deals from my Snap-On dealer. Cornwell on the other hand, me likey
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I could feel the wire getting warm through the insulation.
Aside from the tips for getting an iron, which, a 45w at room temp should do just fine, might I suggest using something to steady your work instead of holding the wire in your hands. One of these should work for you:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3928375

If you can find one without the magnifier and iron stand get that one, if not, ditch those two things and just use the stand.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post

i solder all day long and the 40 watt Weller is the best way to go. Home depot $19
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Hakko is the only way to fly. Everyone who does not own one will swear they are not worth the money. Everyone who spent the money says its the best money they spent. They are like $65-$75 and you will never have to buy another one.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
Hakko is the only way to fly. Everyone who does not own one will swear they are not worth the money. Everyone who spent the money says its the best money they spent. They are like $65-$75 and you will never have to buy another one.
X2, well worth it and they last damn near forever.
weck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
I use a 40w weller for everything.
Where do you get Hakko iron? Im in search for another one and want to check them out.
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
i use an adjustable 100w iron i picked up for $35 a few years ago. it has a large chisel tip and works great for rc stuff.

X2 i got mine at Home Depot $30
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Would that be the Hakko 936??? I have my eye on one now.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner View Post
I use a 40w weller for everything.
Where do you get Hakko iron? Im in search for another one and want to check them out.
retail can search here - http://hakkousa.com/buy.asp - or ebay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Would that be the Hakko 936??? I have my eye on one now.

Yes, the 936
weck is offline   Reply With Quote