Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC Troubleshoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default BEC Troubleshoot

I have a Tekin FXR, JR 9100 servo, Spectrum reciever, and I run a 3 cell lipo. I still choose to use the power switch for the ESC as well.

Issue:
My servo is powered straight from the BEC... at least its wired that way.

For the last 4 months, plugging in the battery does not power the servo. It only gets power when the ESC is on. Only the signal wire from the servo goes to the receiver though. :?

If the Tekin is powering the servo (and I don't see how) I should have problems running a 3 cell. I have never had any.

If the BEC is powering the servo (like it is wired to do) why is it only getting power when the ESC is on.

I was wiggling wires today and I can get the servo to run on BEC only and on the ESC only by holding the wires just right. So its a wiring issue I know.

But how has it been working like that for the last 4 months??
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The servo should get power, but no signal to tell it what to do.........
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

So, what is your problem? The servo is getting power straight from the bec, but it's not gona move until the rx gives it a signal to do so. So is this your problem, or you thought you had one?
ib99rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

No... the problem is that the servo has NO power with the BEC wired straight to it but it has power when the ESC is on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the black/brown wire and the red wires are power and the orange wire is signal.

I wired the BEC power wires straight to the servo power wires and got no power... with 2 different BECs.

Here is how I have it working for now...

BEC minus signal wire plugged into Batt. port on RX
Servo plugged into steering port on RX
ESC minus red wire plugged into Throttle port on RX
Punk switch in Aux Port

Hooked up like this, the servo is powered as soon as I connect the battery... but so is the punk dig :?

It works fine, but I don't like putting BEC voltage through the RX. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
No... the problem is that the servo has NO power with the BEC wired straight to it but it has power when the ESC is on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the black/brown wire and the red wires are power and the orange wire is signal.

I wired the BEC power wires straight to the servo power wires and got no power... with 2 different BECs.

Here is how I have it working for now...

Servo plugged into steering port on RX
ESC minus red wire plugged into Throttle port on RX
Punk switch in Aux Port

Hooked up like this, the servo is powered as soon as I connect the battery... but so is the punk dig :?

It works fine, but I don't like putting BEC voltage through the RX. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

You are confusing me on this........

If you want to run your servo directly off the BEC, the best way (IMO) is to run the input power wires directly to the connection that your battery is hooked up to. Then run the BEC output wires directly to your servo positive and negative using a cut up Y-harness or solder them. Then run the signal wire from your servo to the receiver using a male plug as usual.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It sounds wack... but that is exactly what I am doing.

I just tried again. Input to the BEC is straight off the battery.

Output from the BEC pos and neg goes into a Y and the other side of the Y has the pos and neg from the servo. Then the loose end of the Y with a signal wire ONLY goes to the RX.

I think I just figured it out. You guys remove your ESC power switch so your ESC turns on as soon as you connect the battery. That gives the RX power and the servo.

When my switch is off the ESC is not powering the RX so the Servo does not fire up. Does that sound right?

I was thinking the Servo should be powered whether the RX had power or not since its coming off the battery.:?

Again... does that sound right?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

That is where you confused me.

Quote:
It sounds wack... but that is exactly what I am doing.

I just tried again. Input to the BEC is straight off the battery.

Output from the BEC pos and neg goes into a Y and the other side of the Y has the pos and neg from the servo. Then the loose end of the Y with a signal wire ONLY goes to the RX.

I think I just figured it out. You guys remove your ESC power switch so your ESC turns on as soon as you connect the battery. That gives the RX power and the servo.

When my switch is off the ESC is not powering the RX so the Servo does not fire up. Does that sound right?

I was thinking the Servo should be powered whether the RX had power or not since its coming off the battery.:?

Again... does that sound right?
That is correct I believe.....not at home to double check my switch though.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep! You have power to the servo but no signal until you switch on the ESC being the RX is powered of the speed controls bec
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys. That was a case of tearing it apart to fix something that wasn't messed up after all.

Oh well... at least I cleaned up my wiring a little in the process.... ok... a lot.