Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2 battery 2 esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Question 2 battery 2 esc

I'm run dual esc's (HH BR-XL) on my lcc moa and i'm gonna run two Blue Lipo 1300mah 25c 3s batteries once they come in. I don't want to solder my esc's together because it makes it a hassle to program them and i can't solder lipos together because you can't balance charger them that way. So could i just plug a battery into each esc. Would this affect lipo cutoff or runtime. or would it be better to make a crazy wiring harness
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'd say to wire them seperate. I was actually planning on doing the same thing once I have my dual ESC set-up.

This might help with any clod stall too since the two escs would act as two seperate systems.

Just make sure that only one power source is plugged into the esc. (If you use a BEC, or one of the two ESC's red wire)

They actually do make a balance charge adapter for 2x3S batteries, but wiring them seperate is probably the easiest and safest way.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I'd say to wire them seperate. I was actually planning on doing the same thing once I have my dual ESC set-up.

This might help with any clod stall too since the two escs would act as two seperate systems.
I would do the exact opposite. Wire the batteries in parallel and wire both ESC's together. You want a consistent power source for both ESC's. Clod stall will be worse if they are independant. Since an MOA will draw power differently at both ends you will end up with different voltages at each battery and end up amplifying clod stall.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Why two batterys? I would think the extra weight would be a disadvantage? With your setup I'd make a series harness and run both batterys to each esc. Can you say 6s!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Why two batterys? I would think the extra weight would be a disadvantage? With your setup I'd make a series harness and run both batterys to each esc. Can you say 6s!
I agree, one battery is best or two at 6s
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What about having independent control to each ESC? That will help counteract any clod stall, so if that were the case, wouldn't two seperate batteries be just fine?

I guess I don't understand how there would be clod stall if the two axles are in totally seperate electrical systems?

I thought clod stall was because the electricity (like water) flows through the path of least resistance, and when you are climbing a steep ascent, the rear motor requires more current to go the same speed, and the power flows to the front motor.

In a dual battery, dual esc set-up, I don't see how that works like a single battery dual esc set up. If the rear motor requires more current, it will draw more current from it's battery.

Am I way off base here? If so, can you explain how a dual esc dual battery system would have clod stall?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I'm run dual esc's (HH BR-XL) on my lcc moa and i'm gonna run two Blue Lipo 1300mah 25c 3s batteries once they come in. I don't want to solder my esc's together because it makes it a hassle to program them and i can't solder lipos together because you can't balance charger them that way. So could i just plug a battery into each esc. Would this affect lipo cutoff or runtime. or would it be better to make a crazy wiring harness

my dual Br-xl's are soldered to one deans plug...I dont have any problems programming....all the programing is done through the RX plug.

they make parallel deans harnesses and series harnesses...I run 2x 2s with a series harness for my 4s lipo set-up...when I use my 3s lipos I just unplug my series harness and away I go..super easy to run either way!!
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
20K Club

yeah you're way off. When the load is different the motors will spin different, simple as that. With dual ESC you can just dial it out on the fly. Once you start mis matching battery voltages by loading then differently you have just FUBAR'd and consistency you may have had. All in all it's just a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
What about having independent control to each ESC? That will help counteract any clod stall, so if that were the case, wouldn't two seperate batteries be just fine?

I guess I don't understand how there would be clod stall if the two axles are in totally seperate electrical systems?

I thought clod stall was because the electricity (like water) flows through the path of least resistance, and when you are climbing a steep ascent, the rear motor requires more current to go the same speed, and the power flows to the front motor.

In a dual battery, dual esc set-up, I don't see how that works like a single battery dual esc set up. If the rear motor requires more current, it will draw more current from it's battery.

Am I way off base here? If so, can you explain how a dual esc dual battery system would have clod stall?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Got Worms?

ok so i have to wire them together, i can't run 6s because i'm using 77t pullers and i can't use one battery because dual pullers is too big of a amp load, when i have my esc's soldered together the programmer won't pick it up it cause both esc lights start flashing. But it was said said to unhook one of the wires off the the esc, why's that
Old 03-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
ok so i have to wire them together, i can't run 6s because i'm using 77t pullers and i can't use one battery because dual pullers is too big of a amp load, when i have my esc's soldered together the programmer won't pick it up it cause both esc lights start flashing. But it was said said to unhook one of the wires off the the esc, why's that
You only need one power source into the receiver, so if you have a BEC powering the receiver, don't connect the red wire from either ESC, if your BEC is wired direct to the servo, then connect one, but not both red wires to the receiver. You can make a simple adapter with a short servo extension with the red wire removed. This way when you want to plug it back in to program, you won't have to mess with the tiny wire and the little clip in the plug.

Both escs flash because the receiver is likely over-voltage protecting itself, and shutting down.

You could run the 2 batteries in parallel (for a 3s2p arrangement) into both escs by making a plug adapter. Wire all the + sides together and then wire all the - sides together. This way you increase your amp-draw capability for those pullers.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Got Worms?

but why do i have to take a red wire out, i've been running it with them both in since Christmas. And both esc flashed when i plug it into the computer to program it if i have the battery wires soldered together
Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Got Worms?

i'm running no bec, just the built in ones in the esc's. One esc ain't enough but if they are both plugged in its enough to power my servo- 5 amps+5 amps=10 amps which is equivalent to the castle bec