Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo battery with bec for transmitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lipo battery with bec for transmitter

My Transmitter uses 4 - AA batteries and I was thinking of using a 2 or 3S lipo connected to a BEC tuned to around 5.2 volt. Would this be a good idea?
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
My Transmitter uses 4 - AA batteries and I was thinking of using a 2 or 3S lipo connected to a BEC tuned to around 5.2 volt. Would this be a good idea?
You could, but this http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW050.htm would be cheaper and more compact.

I think I would also invest in an audible lipo low voltage alarm and install that at the same time.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post

As long as you have a high "C" rating on those lipos that transmitter draws some serious Amperage!!!

That should work fine, just sounds like a lot of hassle cause you'd have a BEC and a voltage warning thingy crammed up in the batt compartment.

Lipo $20 + BEC $20 + Low Volt warning $30 = buy generic AA's
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am using 1450mah 3S LiPo on my Traxxas TQ3 (which requires 8*AA),

Lipo was like $7 from HobbyKing, another $3 or Low voltage Alarm
xxgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have an extra 2s i would like to use, i can set a alarm on my radio for low voltage. I'll either go with the CC or one from Narly1's link. Thank You!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've considered going to a lipo in my DX3R once or twice but my Sanyo Eneloop AA's just keep going and going.

For the convienence of not having to worry about unplugging the tx battery after every use, I've decided to stick with the AA's.

Remember that a BEC and/or lipo alarm is still going to draw power off the lipo when not in use, so you gotta disconnect the battery each time your done using the TX.

Is it worth the extra usage time you get and weight saved to go to lipo's? If your lipo goes into cutoff and you need a battery in a hurry, you'll need a spare. Just in case.

I am on nearly 14 hours (this charge) with my Eneloops and they are still going strong and I can get 4 AA's anywhere quickly and easly if I need them. I also like the convienence of knowing I can leave the batteries in my TX and come back to it a week or even a month later and just switch it on.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
I've considered going to a lipo in my DX3R once or twice but my Sanyo Eneloop AA's just keep going and going.

For the convienence of not having to worry about unplugging the tx battery after every use, I've decided to stick with the AA's.

Remember that a BEC and/or lipo alarm is still going to draw power off the lipo when not in use, so you gotta disconnect the battery each time your done using the TX.

Is it worth the extra usage time you get and weight saved to go to lipo's? If your lipo goes into cutoff and you need a battery in a hurry, you'll need a spare. Just in case.

I am on nearly 14 hours (this charge) with my Eneloops and they are still going strong and I can get 4 AA's anywhere quickly and easly if I need them. I also like the convienence of knowing I can leave the batteries in my TX and come back to it a week or even a month later and just switch it on.

That's a good point I think I might go in that direction.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post

He has a good point. I'd go his way. I didn't think of having to disconnect the lipo every time your done using it (if you run a voltage monitor)....

I run rechargable 2650mah AA cells from wally world in my KO-Propo. It's expensive at first $20 for 4 AA's ($40 totall) and they last forever. And when i do have to charge just plug in the charger included with the radio that plugs into the TX case. Yours should have a port and cable to charge through the remote.
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I did the 5 battery mod to my dx3r over a year ago and plan to do the same thing to my dx3r pro. I use 5 2650mah duracell rechargeable batts. 1.2v per cell 6.7v fully charged, added a tiny bit of weight but I can go to the track every weekend for months and never recharge. I set the cut off 1v higher but it doesn't really matter since you can run them all the way down if you want. You can also change it back whenever you want. Wink wink!
Jstall7543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Suck it up!

I've got a CC BEC stuffed into the handle of my React, and run 2s lipos in it. Works great, lasts forever. If for some reason I do run a pack low, I've got a spare in my box, or I can use a 3s from my comp rig if I'm desperate.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I've got a CC BEC stuffed into the handle of my React, and run 2s lipos in it. Works great, lasts forever. If for some reason I do run a pack low, I've got a spare in my box, or I can use a 3s from my comp rig if I'm desperate.

or you can use a 2 cell LiFe pack! and not worry about any circuitry. Or if its a cheap radio and you have money to replace it if needed try a 2 cell LiPo. Alot of radio companies sell a 3 cell LiPo pack for 8 "AA" transmitters. if it takes 4 "AA" dont expect a 3 cell LiPo for anything good.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote