Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder ESC Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

Default Sidewinder ESC Problem

I am in the process of trying to get my SCX 10 running, below is the gear I am using:

Venom VR3T
Sidewinder ESC
Integy Lathe 45T
6C NiMH Battery

After using the castle link to modify the esc for a brushed motor and changing the maps a little, I downloaded the program and started the process to link the system. Starting with the remote, I verified that all the trims were set to zero, and that all the limits were correct. I then hooked up the battery and then held the throttle wide open. Switching the ESC on I then followed the protocol to link them. After doing so the truck lurched a few times and then stopped working. I checking to make sure that the ESC was receiving all the correct signals, yellow in neutral, solid green at full throttle, and solid red when at full brake. I then double checked all by wires. Everything good, even polarity. Turning it on and off a few times yielded nothing. I then took it all apart and check to make sure that the motor still worked, just hooked it straight to the battery and everything worked great.

So everything looks like it is working with the exception of the CC sidewinder. But the ESC seems to be receiving all the right info, it just isn't sending any power to the battery.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Arkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Check for the lipo cut of make sure its off
Justinraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

That was part of the first changes I made to the ESC before I put power to it. That also happen to be one of the first things I checked after things went south. Lipo cut-off has been off the entire time. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Arkss; 04-10-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

battery Charged?

try to set it back a software version from the newest one and see if that works or maby the remote do you have another remote to try with
Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

see what you throttle deadband(i believe thats what its called) is set on normal.
i had that problem with my mini crawler and thats all that was wrong with it.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #6

Yes the battery is charged. I would expect that if I was totally new to the RC world, but I have built several Losi XX buggies, have a few nitro trucks, and two helis. So building this was much of the same as everything else, just a different product when finished. I just played around with the deadzone a little more, from one extreme to another, and nothing changed. I did re-sync everything after I changed it. As far as the remote, I know that the signal is being received because the LED's change with the different throttle position, just doesn't drive any voltage output. I am beginning to think that the ESC is shot.

Any other ideas?

I also played around with the firmware a little after first running into this problem, but yield nothing.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hey even the best of us forget something once and a while new to cralin not raceing
Call up castle see what they say iv got a brand new bec that dosent work wont even link with castle link they just sent a new one got 4 days later i had a simular issue with m girlfriends mini crawler was a bad remote sent a signal lights changed just wouldent move
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #8

Yeah, that was the plan first thing monday. I will have to see what they say. It is just a bummer. I spent the last two weeks working on putting this together, and now another delay. Oh well, that is how it goes sometimes. Thanks again
Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Suck it up!

You might plug the link back in and verify your settings. Mine has not locked in a couple of times.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #10

I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a Sidewinder on my slash. I have not encountered a problem like this, but try setting your epa setting for the throttle and brake to the max. After you have them set, now calibrate the esc with your tx/rx. Hope this helps!
edubRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #11

Thank you everyone for your help. I contacted CC yesterday and talked to the tech rep for a little. He said that it sounds like one of the components failed inside the ESC. He said that this is a very rare case because I wasn't using a motor that drew a huge amount of amps.

One a side note, they drop shipped me a new one and a pre-paid package for the old one. You cannot beat that for customer service. I think that I just found my new supplier for ESC. That and the castle link is pretty kick a$$.