Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: rc4wd electric motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default rc4wd electric motors

How good are those 10 dollor motors , are they any good.
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

They work. Nuff said, for $10 they serve there purpose.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

They Function, that's about it. Proly no longevity.
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Are we assuming they just work? Or has someone actually put this cheapie in there? I want to know the same thing. For $10, that a deal. BUT, does it work as well as other machine wound motors? A new Novak 55 can be had for $17 to $29 on Ebay. And I suppose its a decent motor, i have to cut my comm on mine. Its got no drag brake anymore. Thats why i'm wondering how this $10 motor works.
freemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I dont have any experience with these, but they dont appear to be rebuildable...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The motor is a motor. Give it power and it turns. I have used them in my trucks now for awhile. I use them for mudding and such. Not as much power and rpm as my other motors, but they function.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I dont have any experience with these, but they dont appear to be rebuildable...
According to the 3 photos on the website, I suspect they are rebuildable. But how would it compare to A Novak 55, or a JPH? $50 is alot of money for a guy, and thats for 1 motor. The RC4wd is $20 for both.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

They are just cheap motors....they will work.

I just find it weird, that guys will only spend $20 on a motor.......yet $150 on axles or wheels without even nodding an eyebrow....

Crawling is the only form of cars or trucks, big or small......where the motor isn't the or at least one of the most expensive parts on the car. I think guys put more into tires

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
They are just cheap motors....they will work.

I just find it weird, that guys will only spend $20 on a motor.......yet $150 on axles or wheels without even nodding an eyebrow....

Crawling is the only form of cars or trucks, big or small......where the motor isn't the or at least one of the most expensive parts on the car. I think guys put more into tires

Later EddieO
That is because depending on the type of crawling you don't really need much of a motor... Also if you go brushless it might generate a problem with water and mud.
So that stated fortunately crawlers don't demand very expensive motor systems, unless you are in a competition setup where you want every possible advantage...
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well, I guess we can argue that.....

Crawlers do need power.....it just a different type than what you would see in a racing car......

Test it yourself in ANY crawling rig regardless of it being a scaler, comp or a hobby truck.......use a crap motor or crap batteries, then switch to a performance motor or batteries, the difference is night and day, even in non-competition vehicles.....I've certainly never had a complaint from a person who has upgraded.

Later EddieO
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ok then EddieO, what is a good inexpensive motor? I am one of those guys you mentioned. I want to power up my new rig, but not at $100. I'd like to get 2 of those cheapie motors and kill them. Is that such a big deal? I'm positive i would like the JPH handwounds better. But i just can't afford them. This vehicle is my 2nd attempt at electrics. My 1st, rc18t, i burned up motors like crazy. I had no clue how to properly maintain them. So these cheap RC4WD motors fit the bill, so to speak. When and if I get better or more money, I'll pony up and get better motors. I have a lathe and everything else necessary to maitain electric motors. Gotta start somewhere.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemachinist View Post
what is a good inexpensive motor?
In this hobby, you generally get what you pay for. "Inexpensive" wont get you a "good" motor...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Maybe look for some used motors in the classfieds?

Other than that, I would say the integy lathe motors are your best bet.....

Later EddieO
Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Personally, I'd rather buy a new $10 motor than a used $50 one for $10. I'd know it was going to work and wouldm\n't need new brushes. Unless someone is getting out of the hobby, I am super wary of purchasing used RC parts. Usually it is someones junk.

So fine, i do agree, there isn't such a thing as a good, inexpensive motor. How about the Venom Fireballs? Modified or not. I can't spend $100 for 2 motors. Not right now, perhaps in a few months. But the bully is on its way.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #15
jwo
Rock Crawler

i just picked up two of them. they look good. imo they are just a plain jane stock motor with different turns that all of us tend to use in our crawlers and scalers. no different then an axial 55t or the 27t.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boids View Post
How good are those 10 dollor motors , are they any good.
They Suck!
Check out what John Holmies is selling on his site. He has a couple motor choices for $20-$30.
crawlerpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

They are about the same as the stock axial motors. Nothing to write home about and non-rebuildable but there are tons of those cheap motors out there that have been running forever (Tamiya kits have used silver cans forever). IMHO they are really all ya need in a crawler. Sure, I love pullers and even handwounds in my comp rigs but there are seldom times when ya "need" all that power/speed (ran mismatched tekin/novak 45t motors for a long time comping) and for general crawling silver cans will get the job done.
Check out this little write up:
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43501

Last edited by oldhippie; 05-25-2010 at 08:14 AM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote