Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3s showing as a 2s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Default 3s showing as a 2s?

I have been running a Thunder Power 3s 1350 in my car and wanted more run time so I got 2 G-Force 1000Mah 3s battteries and am running them in parrallel. I noticed that my charger sees them as 2S packs if they are in parallel or single. They have 12.5+ Volts, 4 wires for the balancing port and seem to work fine? All my other batteries show as a 3s on the charger. Any thoughts?
Thanks
toytech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I think i might know. What kinda charger do you have? Dont the G-Force lipos have a different style of balance plug compaired to Thund Pow?

Try to NOT balance charge them see if it recognizes it as 3s... If it does say it's 3s then it's most likely the wires in the balance plug are arranged diff for diff brands...?
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
I think i might know. What kinda charger do you have? Dont the G-Force lipos have a different style of balance plug compaired to Thund Pow?

Try to NOT balance charge them see if it recognizes it as 3s... If it does say it's 3s then it's most likely the wires in the balance plug are arranged diff for diff brands...?
X2 ....if your ballancing taps are different that is why. You need an adaptor if that is the case.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

I have the Thunder AC6 charger and yes the the Thunder batt has different ballance plug and I do have the the adapter. It doesn't matter if you have the balance plug hooked up or not, you set the charger for a 3s 11.1v and then the charger verifys what you are trying to charge and it sees it as a 2s and not a 3s with and without the balance plug. Voltage reads correct, # of wires on the balance plug is 4. Just doesn't make sense. Thanks for your input though.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

What voltage are you running them down to? Your charger assumes that you are not dropping them past about 3V/cell....any lower and it wont recognize properly.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

About 10.6 I have been running them in parallel but it shows the same on the charger if I am charging them in parallel or individually with or without the balancing plug.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That should be fine....this might be a problem with the charger. Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #8

The charger seems to work perfect with all the other batteries and it charges these G-force just fine. It's just that it shows up as a 2s. Just plain weird.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

What is the final voltage of the pack after charging? A 2S should stop at 8.4V (4.2/cell)....and you said that you start them charging at above 10V.....

It sounds like it might just be a display issue...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #10

It finishes charging at 12.59V. Everything acts like its a 3s except for the charger. I don't think that it could be the display because it is only on these batteries and my other 3s batteries work just fine.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #11

These g-force batteries seem to work great in parallel compared to my thunder v2 batteries. I get very low run time with the Thunders, maybe 20 minutes for a 1350mah but in parallel with 2 1000mah batteries I get about 45 minutes. On paper I should only get about 30 minutes compared to the 1350's
Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech01 View Post
The charger seems to work perfect with all the other batteries and it charges these G-force just fine. It's just that it shows up as a 2s. Just plain weird.

So your charger tells you you have a 2s plugged (3s actually) in but it charges with 3s parameters?

Try maybe charging a gforce pack fully, then plug it back into the charger and see if it reads 3s...

...I don't know what to say man... I guess just run it.

Last edited by Blood_Clod; 04-26-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It finishes charging at 12.59V. Everything acts like its a 3s except for the charger. I don't think that it could be the display because it is only on these batteries and my other 3s batteries work just fine.
Well, it is charging to a full 3S....so I would say that it is fine...

Quote:
I get very low run time with the Thunders, maybe 20 minutes for a 1350mah
That is odd....I can get about 40 minutes out of my TP1350 3S packs running a puller.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #14

I will check to see what it sees when the charge is full, never thought to try it.

Quote:
So your charger tells you you have a 2s plugged (3s actually) in but it charges with 3s parameters?

Try maybe charging a gforce pack fully, then plug it back into the charger and see if it reads 3s...

Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #15

Have not been happy with the Thunder Power V2's at all plus they are damn expensive. Cheep batteries in parallel are the way to go in my opinion.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

That is the first complaint I have ever heard about the performance of a TP pack. Are you sure that your charger is charging them completely? As I said, I can run my rock racer with a puller and 1350 for about 4 minutes....I run a 2700 in my scaler and it lasts 2 hours. I get about 35 minutes of run time in my comp 2.2 (dual 35Ts).
Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I have the exact same charger as you do (Thunder AC6) and I have two 2s 1800mah 7.4v G-force (from Value Hobby) and they work fine with that charger. The only thing I can assume is wrong is that your 3s is one of the cells is bad.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:

Just checked the fully charged G-forces and now they read as 3s. I checked them as singles, parallel and with and without balancing plugs. Crazy. I wonder if they were just being read as 2s when discharged but that still doesn't make sense. Oh well. Thanks to all for your ideas
Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just checked the fully charged G-forces and now they read as 3s. I checked them as singles, parallel and with and without balancing plugs. Crazy. I wonder if they were just being read as 2s when discharged but that still doesn't make sense. Oh well. Thanks to all for your ideas

I think one of your cells is bad. Take a volt meter and check each cell manually at the balance tap. That's proly your problem. With a fully charged pack it charged that bad cell just enough for the charger to recoqnize it and if it's remotely dead it won't detect it... I Think...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #20

Quote:
I think one of your cells is bad. Take a volt meter and check each cell manually at the balance tap. That's proly your problem. With a fully charged pack it charged that bad cell just enough for the charger to recoqnize it and if it's remotely dead it won't detect it... I Think...
I will give that a try. That might make sense and be the answer. It would have to be a bad cell on both batteries because they both read as a 2s when low. Will let you know what I find.
Thanks