Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitech 7955TG gettting pretty warm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hitech 7955TG gettting pretty warm

My 7955 gets real warm after about 10-15 minutes of use. Gets a little hot to the touch. Is this normal? My sons Hobbico 170 runs much cooler. i have 3pm-mx with end points set correctly. My BEC is set to 6 volts. It doesn't look like its binding at all. Should I run less voltage to the BEC? Or should I even be worring about a at all? . Any adivice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jake
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I really don't think the servo is supposed to get that warm, I would cut down the voltage and see if that cuts down the heat.

Sounds like the servo is on its way out.
NooB84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

depends how hot it actually is. my 7955 in my losi on 6.1v runs pretty warm also in about 30 min usually the only thing hotter is the motor. mine has been that way even when i cut the voltage down to 5.6-5.7v
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i would say that servo shouldn't get that hot. if lowering the voltage doesn't seem to help, maybe set the EPA's a little under what you've got them at. i know you said they're set correctly, but on my JR8711 they were set to what i thought was perfect. i backed them down a little more and it cooled off tremendously from what i had been feeling before. not sure if that will help for you but something to check at least. if neither of those work, you may be looking for a new servo or you may be able to contact hitec and get them to repair it for less. i know they've worked with a few guys around here and getting their stuff fixed.
crawling hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have a 7955 and a 7940.They both get quite warm (or hot) after extened good hard crawling.The 7955 has seen a good amount of use and the 7940 has seen about 25 packs through it.No problems with either,but they do get hot.Remember these servo produce huge amounts of power out of a standard size case,plus they are digital servos that with the slightest push against them are trying to hold there setting.All I can say is my steering does not bind and is free.The servo's get hot but they are also working hard!!
Dennis P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Well i got it to run a little cooler by adjusting the EPA's down just a bit, to 115 instead of 120. I lost a little bit of steering, but hardly noticeable. Now it just runs real warm but not hot . So if that's normal, I guess I'll just live with it. I just don't want to fry it . I can't afford another 100.00 for another one after only two months. Thanks for the help everyone!

Jake
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I worry about this with my hs 7950. On my axial I had it mounted with the normal steering in the front and it didn't get that hot. I bought the axial bta kit and after I installed it I noticed that the servo was very very hot after only a few minutes. I tried adjusting end points and checking for binding and it still got hot. I put the steering back in the front and the servo immediately wasn't getting as hot anymore. I put the bta back on the other day and noticed it's once again running hot....but not as hot as before. This leads me to believe that in my case I must have some type of binding or extra strain on my servo with the bta. I took the axle off and unhooked the servo. I can move everything freely and can't tell there is any bind or restriction. Only conclusion I've come to is these servos are as stated above working hard in a small case to keep their settings and that maybe even binding or strain that I can't notice must be there causing it to run hot. But like you I don't want to spend the money on a new servo and am also worried that I may be damaging mine.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
I worry about this with my hs 7950. On my axial I had it mounted with the normal steering in the front and it didn't get that hot. I bought the axial bta kit and after I installed it I noticed that the servo was very very hot after only a few minutes. I tried adjusting end points and checking for binding and it still got hot. I put the steering back in the front and the servo immediately wasn't getting as hot anymore. I put the bta back on the other day and noticed it's once again running hot....but not as hot as before. This leads me to believe that in my case I must have some type of binding or extra strain on my servo with the bta. I took the axle off and unhooked the servo. I can move everything freely and can't tell there is any bind or restriction. Only conclusion I've come to is these servos are as stated above working hard in a small case to keep their settings and that maybe even binding or strain that I can't notice must be there causing it to run hot. But like you I don't want to spend the money on a new servo and am also worried that I may be damaging mine.
Ok so i was crawling in the house this evening. You know up chairs and bottled water packs etc. When my Plastic servo horn broke. We run the thick plastic horns to absorb some of the force in hopes the gears last longer. So anyway the horn broke clean in half just making a left turn. I too was testing a new steering configuration with bent tie rods for more clearance. So i was looking at it and I noticed there was some bind or side force at center. I rembember reading that with digital servos they are always searching for center and this will create heat. So if there was bind or side force at center maybe this is why it was getting hot. Well I swapped back in my straight tie rod, and wahla . No more heat hardly at all . Now it runs about the same as my son's Hobbico 170. Maybe a tad warmer but nothing like before. Maybe that's your problem too James003... Again Thanks for everyones help. It's fixed now

Jake
Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr104 View Post
Ok so i was crawling in the house this evening. You know up chairs and bottled water packs etc. When my Plastic servo horn broke. We run the thick plastic horns to absorb some of the force in hopes the gears last longer. So anyway the horn broke clean in half just making a left turn. I too was testing a new steering configuration with bent tie rods for more clearance. So i was looking at it and I noticed there was some bind or side force at center. I rembember reading that with digital servos they are always searching for center and this will create heat. So if there was bind or side force at center maybe this is why it was getting hot. Well I swapped back in my straight tie rod, and wahla . No more heat hardly at all . Now it runs about the same as my son's Hobbico 170. Maybe a tad warmer but nothing like before. Maybe that's your problem too James003... Again Thanks for everyones help. It's fixed now

Jake
I recently had the same problem with a new 7950 heating up. I too realized that my steering linkage was bound up. It's amazing that even a little bind will get the sucker smokin hot! I think the best way to check it is to move the linkage by hand not hooked up to the servo and make sure it moves freely. Anyway, glad you got your problem fixed!
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote