Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder problems. Please Advise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Poe

Default Sidewinder problems. Please Advise.

Here's the hardware:

35T brushed motor, brand new, bench checked fine.
3300mAh battery, full charge, full volts, full amps.
Traxxis 4-channel 2.4Ghz radio system, brand new.
1/10th scale Sidewinder brushless, brand new.

Here's the set-up:

Motor wired to red and black leads, white lead stowed (for brushed motor). Wench on front wired directly to battery and 3rd channel, works fine. Roof lights always on, turn signals work when turning left or right, back up lights and head lights (Y'd into throttle channel) work when choosing forward or reverse on radio.

Here's the problem:

Steering works, all lights work (including reverse and throttle), wench works, battery fully charged, everything wired correctly, but no motor action. The motor isnt even seated yet, so no tension on it. No voltage from black and red ESC leads. Even when lights and wench is taken out of the equation. Sidewinder is always flashing yellow/green...which indictates low voltage (I think), but why?

Any ideas?
Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Try switching the leads (use the white and black). There was a software version a while back that had an issue. If you have the castle link, you can simply update the software.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Poe

I tried lead swapping, but no luck. I do have a castle link for my Mamba Max ESCs, but this sidewinder does not have a mini-USB port. I though it may have been programmed to a low-voltage cut-off, but I can't find a way to hook it up. Is there another way to program it? I was confused about that, because the website says I can use the castle link: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/sidewinder.html
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Try not using 2.4? my micro hated 2.4 up until it fried just recently. Atleast its a starting point after checking the software.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The castle link has a small board with it that has a connection for the esc receiver wire to plug into. And that has a USB plug on it.

Cole
Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You will need the actual link device. Did you try all wire combinations, and do you have the ESC set for brushed mode?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Poe

Ok, I think I figured out the problem. It has been a long time since I have used castle products or castle links. The last time I used them, I used the USB cord that plugged directly into the Mamba Max. I forgot all about the other link. Unfortunately, I can't find mine, so I ordered another and we'll see if that's the problem. I think it will be.

Thank you all for your input. I just needed a jolt in my memory

Last edited by Poe; 04-28-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Does the motor beep when you turn on the ESC? If not then its probably not set to BRUSHED mode.

And the default setting for the battery type is Auto-Lipo, so its thinking that your lipo is at cutoff. Discharge the battery a little and try again, its probably seeing the fully charged NiMh battery as a flat 3S lipo as most nimh batteries will show a charge of 8.9 - 9.6 volts when fully charged and the auto lipo setting senses a 2S from 6 - 8.4 volts or 3S from 9 - 12.6 volts.

Manually programming the castle esc's isnt that hard, you just have to take your time and count the lights until you get your motor set to brushed mode. The down side is that the motor setting is the last setting on the esc. I usually print out the manual programming section of the drivers guide and tic the settings off as I go through them.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If the steering works try this.... If so check you throttle trim, slowly turn the knob (or button) until you hear it "Arm" itself. The flashing green and yellow means the speedo thinks your finger is on the trigger when you plugged it in. this is a saftey feature to keep it from running off on you... Hope this helps.
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMJ87 View Post
Try not using 2.4? my micro hated 2.4 up until it fried just recently. Atleast its a starting point after checking the software.

Cole
This is not good to hear. I recently bought a Sidewinder Micro and I am using a 2.4ghz tx/rx and the ESC and out of the box the ESC was not able to power the motor with out violent shaking/stuttering that would never stop. Contacted Castle and they said the ESC was bad but never asked about 2.4ghz... I'll see what happens when I get a the replacement.

**EDIT**

Just spoke to Castle (wanted to know if a 2.4ghz could effect a ESC) and they said no way it can happen unless the RX has a dead channel on it. He explained how there sidewinder ESC has 3 phases on it and if one of the phases is not working correctly then the motor wil shake violently and do other wierd things.....just like mine! So my nevers have been calmed as I wait for my replacement.

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 04-29-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
Poe

GOOD NEWS! I got the Castle Link today and all works as advertised, even the 2.4Ghz radio. The problem with the Sidewinder was that it was set to a 9.0v cut-off, when I was trying to use 7.2v stick packs. I set to "no cut-off", added a bit of drag break, and I was off an running.

Thank you all for the advice and tips. Have a good crawl!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
This is not good to hear. I recently bought a Sidewinder Micro and I am using a 2.4ghz tx/rx and the ESC and out of the box the ESC was not able to power the motor with out violent shaking/stuttering that would never stop. Contacted Castle and they said the ESC was bad but never asked about 2.4ghz... I'll see what happens when I get a the replacement.

**EDIT**

Just spoke to Castle (wanted to know if a 2.4ghz could effect a ESC) and they said no way it can happen unless the RX has a dead channel on it. He explained how there sidewinder ESC has 3 phases on it and if one of the phases is not working correctly then the motor wil shake violently and do other wierd things.....just like mine! So my nevers have been calmed as I wait for my replacement.
I am still working getting mine replaced. Mine cleared up when i used a TQ3 for awhile but then it went downhill fast. Glad to hear you are on the right track and if it doesnt fix it you have 2 to sell and fund a new ESC.

Cole