Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: different sidewinder drag problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default different sidewinder drag problem

I have read most of the threads for the non drag brake on a sidewinder. I have tried everything from the 3.23v to the newest castle version with 213% brake. Nothing seems to be working for me. I have called castle and they walked me through the setup saying that should do it but nothing. My current setup, heavy bully axle, dual sidewinders, 4pk, jp handwound 37t brand new, 12t pinions front and rear, sedonas, total weight 7lbs. The lack of good drag brakes under normal 4wd driving is tolerable. The problem is when i am on an incline and go into front dig the rear just starts to roll downhill. I have found that instead of going into front dig i mix the rear down until the front starts to spin and this works but can't be the best way. Is there something in my radio that i could change, or am i going to have to get a new esc to be happy?
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreeper View Post
I have read most of the threads for the non drag brake on a sidewinder. I have tried everything from the 3.23v to the newest castle version with 213% brake. Nothing seems to be working for me. I have called castle and they walked me through the setup saying that should do it but nothing. My current setup, heavy bully axle, dual sidewinders, 4pk, jp handwound 37t brand new, 12t pinions front and rear, sedonas, total weight 7lbs. The lack of good drag brakes under normal 4wd driving is tolerable. The problem is when i am on an incline and go into front dig the rear just starts to roll downhill. I have found that instead of going into front dig i mix the rear down until the front starts to spin and this works but can't be the best way. Is there something in my radio that i could change, or am i going to have to get a new esc to be happy?
Do both motors seem to have equally poor drag brakes or just one? It is suprising though that both ESC's would have equally poor drag brakes.

One idea is to move your throttle trim back towards reveres/brake a few steps. That may be all it takes to engage the drag brake. Also, is the drag brake any better with the rig facing backwards on an incline? That would tell you if the throttle trim is the issue.

I used to hate the drag brake on the Sidewinder but with the new 213% setting it holds pretty damn well even with my crappy Integy motor. I would think the JP's magnets would hold really well.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

A poorly working Drag Brake is usally a problem with your motor being dirty or your magnets loosing there strength due to heat and age.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

adjust your throttle trims via TX, if that no worky,

adjust them per ESC via CC Link.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

it seems to be the same frontwards or backwards. i have not tried to change the throttle trim yet, I thought as long as the yellow light was on it was okay but i will give it a try. should I try just 1 or 2 steps or 5 to 10? And both ways forward and backward i guess. Thanks for the ideas. And the motors are brand new should I wait to make sure my brushes are broke in good.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Are you running 1 esc or 2... sounds to me like your running 1 and you are shutting off the rear motor to dig but not shorting the rear motor. If the case, its your wiring not the drag brake.

Edit: looks like you are running 2, that makes me think its your radio settings... my 2 cents, switch to 1 esc and a punk

Last edited by jetboat; 04-29-2010 at 02:34 PM.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreeper View Post
it seems to be the same frontwards or backwards. i have not tried to change the throttle trim yet, I thought as long as the yellow light was on it was okay but i will give it a try. should I try just 1 or 2 steps or 5 to 10? And both ways forward and backward i guess. Thanks for the ideas. And the motors are brand new should I wait to make sure my brushes are broke in good.
The yellow light doesn't really mean anything in regards to the drag brake. My drag brake wasn't engaging and the yellow light was on. The throttle trim is definitely worth a try.
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i tried setting my throttle trim to different places today and really didnt see any difference until i got so far into it that the truck was trying to go. Since i got home i thought it might be possible that i should use different trims for each esc. could that be the trick and if so i am not exactly sure how i might change each one independent. is there a way to use the castle link and program each one to receive the trim different. It feels like opening up the biggest can of worms i have ever seen.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Has anyone seen somebody running dual sidewinders with some success or am i the only one having these problems.