Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Turnigy 5.0 5000 mah lipo. Good? Or Not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Turnigy 5.0 5000 mah lipo. Good? Or Not?

How good are they? Cause I really like the price as it's only $20 And the $33.95 for the charger on hobbyking.
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I can't tell you... I am still waiting for my shipment... from the USA warehouse, that was suppose to take 2-3 days... shipped US Priority.

I talked with there customer service, and they said my order was shipped back to the warehouse. I am still waiting for them to reship my order. Please keep in mind my batteries were ordered April 9th.

Good luck. I have heard good reviews on the batteries once you get them.
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i know some one who runs then in their slash and in a tc4 with a mamba max and they run just as well as my checkpoint lipos. im looking to pick up some 5.2's once i get some more cash
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

yes they are good and for the price they are incredible!
HAAS599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

PCB isn't great, and you should probably rip it open to check out the solder jobs. The cell tabs are quite thin, but the cells are pretty good.

I would say they are worth the price. The higher discharge rate cells are quite good. I have 12 of the 6s 5ah packs myself.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i have 6 of them for our 2 blitz's. great batteries, especially for the price.
the accucel 6 charger is great too. identical in every way to the venom pro charger. don't forget to get a power supply cable when you order it.
wicked4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have 4 of them and I love them! I think the "C" rating is Under rated (good thing). It took about 2 weeks to get though... I have heard of a few people getting them with a bad cell, but very few...
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

my buddy runs them in his e-maxx with a mamba monster he loves them.... o yeah has anyone sene a e-maxx plane on water??? I DID!! it was cool
Jstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

How much run time do you get on them in a CRAWLER?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CRAWLER KING View Post
How much run time do you get on them in a CRAWLER?
Probably HOURS of run time.

I've got the 3S 3600mah turnigy on my 10lb. scaler, and I like it alot. I've got a Sidewinder with a 21T 550 Titan motor (as I said on your other thread) and I ran it pretty hard for over an hour, and it only charged about 1800mah back into it. The 3600 would probably give me around 2 hours of hard driving, 3 in a "trail-run" scenario. A 5000mah battery could be almost twice that.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 04-29-2010 at 05:21 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Probably HOURS of run time.
well the 5.0 in a slash gets me about an hour of run time. in a 2.2 im sure u could run for MANY hours
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

my 1200 mah gets 45 min crawling. (low wheel speed). My buddy runs a 5000 and he gets 3 - 4 hours. (sucks crawling with him because he give me crap for multiple fillups.... LOL)
Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldWeazel View Post
my 1200 mah gets 45 min crawling. (low wheel speed). My buddy runs a 5000 and he gets 3 - 4 hours. (sucks crawling with him because he give me crap for multiple fillups.... LOL)
Wow I'm defanitely gonna get this pack then.

Ok for a charger how would the duratrax onyx 230 advanced charder do with a 2-3 cell lipo?

What is 2-3s?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Damn it TCK, quit asking questions I can answer.2s or 3s is the number of cells. a 2s pack is 2 cell and a 3 cell is 3 cells. The more cells the more volts. 3 cell is 11.1 volts and I believe the 2 cell is 7.6.

I used to run a 2 cell lipo on my Axial with a 55 turn. Then I tried my 3 cell for a short time. Wow, you will be surprised how much difference "volting up" will make.

Duratrax 230 charger... I have one of these and I love it. I have 7 different batteries that I charge on it (everything from really old 1000 mah nimh - 3000 Nimh to 2s and 3s Lipos.) I never have a problem with it, I can use it on a car battery (for scale running) or I can plug it into 110 for club events. I have tried to charge a 2s pack on 3s setting and vice a versa and the charger is smarter than the operator. I think it is a great way to get into Lipos.

I use the Common Sence Blinky balancer too. I balance the lipos as they charge. That way it makes sure all 2 or 3 cells get an equal charge.

Have fun!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I ordered the 3s 25c about a year ago for my b/l slash and works great. Never had a problem, actually came in the mail all 3 cells balanced EXACTLY the same..i'm sure luck but it made me smile lol. I just ordered the 2s 40c for my slash as well, hasnt come in yet. Only complaint like most is shipping sucks from hong kong..
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I have 2 of those lipos and they are great. I have never run them dead in my crawler, they last forever. I took my scx10 for a hike up and down a mountain for over 2 hours and I used about 1/4 of the battery (21.5 brushless).
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

ok, in between good and bad.
JuziTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldWeazel View Post
Damn it TCK, quit asking questions I can answer.2s or 3s is the number of cells. a 2s pack is 2 cell and a 3 cell is 3 cells. The more cells the more volts. 3 cell is 11.1 volts and I believe the 2 cell is 7.6.

I used to run a 2 cell lipo on my Axial with a 55 turn. Then I tried my 3 cell for a short time. Wow, you will be surprised how much difference "volting up" will make.

Duratrax 230 charger... I have one of these and I love it. I have 7 different batteries that I charge on it (everything from really old 1000 mah nimh - 3000 Nimh to 2s and 3s Lipos.) I never have a problem with it, I can use it on a car battery (for scale running) or I can plug it into 110 for club events. I have tried to charge a 2s pack on 3s setting and vice a versa and the charger is smarter than the operator. I think it is a great way to get into Lipos.

I use the Common Sence Blinky balancer too. I balance the lipos as they charge. That way it makes sure all 2 or 3 cells get an equal charge.

Have fun!
To expand on what you posted:

Each LiPo cell is 3.7V nominal. When it is fully charged, the cell is usually around 4.2V. The lowest voltage that a cell can be safely discharged to is usually 3.0V. That is what most Low Voltage Cutoffs (LVC) are set to, but some people like to set theirs to a slightly higher voltage (3.2 maybe?) If the cell's voltage falls below 3.0V, it can become permanently damaged and unable to charge again.

When you see a LiPo Listed as: 2S2P 4000mAh 20C-25C, here's what that means:

2S means 2 Cells in Series. When you wire cells in series, you increase the output voltage, but mAh and C rating stay the same. This pack is a 7.4V nominal pack, with a total voltage range of 6.0V at LVC, and 8.4V fully charged.

2P means 2 Cells in Parallel. When you wire cells in parallel, you increase mAh and C rating, but voltage stays the same. This pack actually has 4 total cells, which can be a little confusing at first, but if you think of this pack as two 2S packs, it makes a little more sense.

You want to balance the cells because over time an unbalanced cell can become a very unbalanced cell and either over-charge or over-discharge a pack, as well as reduce the overall capacity of the pack. Balancers are cheap, and easy enough to be used each time you charge the pack, but some people only balance every few times they charge it.

4000mAh is the capacity of the battery. 1Ah = 1000mAh, 3600mAh = 3.6Ah. Capacity equates to run time, but in a slightly more complex manner. This battery would take one hour at a rate of 4 amps to discharge. That is if there was a constant 4A load being applied to the battery. That is almost impossible in the real world. In reality the vehicle sees varying amounts of load, sometimes a lot more than 4 amps, and almost nothing when it is sitting still.

20C-25C is the constant discharge and maximum or burst discharge rate. 1C equals the number of amps to discharge the cells in one hour. For this battery 1C is 4 amps. So if you multiply that by 20, you get 80A. This means that the battery can stand a constant rate of 80A if needed. Burst rating is usually 5C higher than the constant discharge rating. This is the maximum amount the battery can withstand for a short period of time as in 15 seconds or so. This is helpful if you need a little more power to get over a rock or something. This battery can handle 100A of maximum short term load.
C rating is also very important to know when charging. Most LiPos are rated for 1C charge rate, but the batteries you are looking for can handle 2C, however, The onyx (and most basic chargers) isn't capable of 10A charge. You never want to charge the battery at more than what it is rated at, otherwise you will have some nasty issues.

LiPos have a lot of warnings on them because they can be very dangerous. If you aren't comfortable with making sure you can follow the rules, then don't get LiPos. What's the worst that can happen? An extremely violent fire, that can burn down your car, your house, etc. (Just go onto YouTube and search LiPo fire.) What happens is if the battery is subjected to over-voltage, over-current, under-voltage, high-heat, internal or external short, reverse voltage, punctures or shock damage, the chemicals inside the cells react against each other and cause the violent fires. This usually shows as "puffing" first, but can quickly turn into a fire. If you notice your cells getting a little puffy, it's probably safer to just dispose of it properly than risk a fire.

Having said that, it's not hard to take care of LiPos, and once you know the basics, you shouldn't have a problem with them. I won't go back to Nickel cells. Ever. LiPo is just better technology. Most chargers have dummy safety features to help prevent you from burning down the neighborhood, but I do recommend a "LiPo Fire Safe Bag" to store and charge the batteries in. Better safe than sorry.

Phew, now that that's all typed up, I hope this helps!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Wow...

Over 2 hours with 5000mah?

Than something must be wrong with my setup.

My SCX10 Kit w/ Novak Goat 2S + 18.5T Brushless setup gives me... well I have never measured to see how much run time I get but I don't think I get more than 2 hours. Than again... not sure if I ever ran it over 2 hours either.

Hmm...

I should really remind myself to measure the run time one of these days.
xxgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

These are great batteries for the price, very popular with the short course crowd. Even if you get a bad one every now and then it's worth it. They had issues with the solder connections when they first came out, but it looks like they've improved their quality control a bit.
CentralCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote