Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2.4 gig which way to go

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2.4 gig which way to go

K looks like its time for a land radio.been looking at the dx3s, but I'm open to other brands and models. I'm new to the land gig. I need something that will run the e maxx, the axial,and the losi crawler. Can someone point out a good radio and why?

Thanks
styles
helistyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

For the $$ the Dx3E is a very nice unit, & it has a 3pos 3rd channel, which you would want to run a dig. The Dx3s does not, but the DX3R does.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

dx3R so you can run them all from the same radio, i dont think the dx3E has multi model memory
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
dx3R so you can run them all from the same radio, i dont think the dx3E has multi model memory
No it doesn't But it will bind to losi/spektrum rx's, & you'll just need to make adjustments for each model-kinda a PITA...but $200 cheaper then a DX3R use the $ you'll save to get extra rx's.....
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Futaba 3pm or 3pm-x
Futaba radios have always treated me very well, these have a 10 model memory, the 3pm-x has a 3 pos 3rd channel OR
You can make the the original 3pm work in 3 positions if you do a little mixing, the reason I say that is you can pick one up on flea-bay pretty cheap.
PsychoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

it really depends on how much money you want to spend. i started with buying a dx3e and it was much better than what came with a rtr. Then i tried a dx3r which was better because i could save all m rigs onto one tx and it had a lot more adjustments than the dx3e. Now I have a futaba 4pk which is awsome. It does everything i could want and even more that i have not a clue about. this thing rocks but was sort of pricey, but if you came from air stuff you should know that good radios can get that way.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I like the spektrum stuff, but I think the futaba radios are nicer, so I run a 3pk with the spektrum module in it. I also have a dx3, and the losi RTR dsm transmitters. had a dx3.0 biefly and did not like it at all, prefer the older dx3 to it.

you can usually pick up a used 3pk with spektrum for less than a new dx3r. The futaba radio has a backlit screen, and can have memory cards added to expand you model memory capacity. It has tons of adjustments and features, everything you could need for a crawler, except for the 4th channel of the 4pk
aconsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
It doesnt have true model mem. but it does remember a Reciever once it binds to it. and if you have lets say 5 crawlers all with the same type of reciever i.e. lets say losi recievers all you do is bind them all. Then when you are out and want to swap crawlers you turn off the TX and the current crawler and turn the other one on then the TX and they reconize each other. Like said though it does change to the settings for that crawler like true model memory and the recievers all have to be the same type and style.

BTW i love my 3E for the money but if i was not on a budget i might have went 3pk for the features it comes with or a 3R.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helistyles View Post
K looks like its time for a land radio.been looking at the dx3s, but I'm open to other brands and models. I'm new to the land gig. I need something that will run the e maxx, the axial,and the losi crawler. Can someone point out a good radio and why?

Thanks
styles
The dx3s does not have a 3 position switch for the 3rd channel. Crawler digs need a 3 position switch. The dx3e/3pmx/dx3r/3pk all have 3 position switches. IMHO the 3pmx is the best bang for the buck crawler radio out there but the futaba receivers add up. The 3pmx will do everything (with better mixing options) the dx3r will do for alot less and not unbind. For a crawler/basher the 3pk is alittle overkill (unless ya want to switch modules). The 4pk is the best pistol radio, period. It will do about anything you will ever need for any surface rc. In a crawler it will even run dual esc and rear steer or winches and lights if ya ever go that way. Of course ya pay for that and most people don't need all it will do.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

hmmm ive seen and held the 4pk, it kinda intimidated me at first ,haha but now sounds like the way to go,ill see if the hobby shop will trade my 9303x for it, hehe , thanks guys

styles
helistyles is offline   Reply With Quote