Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: i need an ESC..advice please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default i need an ESC..advice please?

i have a losi night crawler purchased 2 weeks ago. I have jumped head first into upgrading this truck into something a lot better, a lot faster than planned. here is my current build sheet:

losi night crawler
jconcepts tense 2.2's with 6oz each front wheel 3oz rears
hitec 7955tg steering servo
CC BEC
stock ESC, stock RX...

ok heres my problem... i installed my BEC today and it was defective. It does not power up and send power to the RX... tried a second and it worked fine. Problem 1 solved.. problem 2.. somehow in the unit being bad or freak of nature my esc decided to go out too. If i put the truck stock and turn it on the rx will not power up and the truck will drive full reverse no matter what I do. I can hook up the BEC and get the truck under control, however the truck acts like the battery is flat dead. It will bog and not pull its on weight on a mild hill. I can back up a tad and hit it and sometimes can get it to full throttle and pull itself fine. Horizon is gonna send me another ESC but it isnt in stock right now :( I am wanting to go crawling with a big group of guys tomorrow and m stuck dead in the water. My only suggestion is to buy an ESC so I can roll tomorrow and keep the new ESC whenever it comes in as a backup. What ESC can I pick up to run this truck fine with stock motor and RX on a NiMh battery? I am not wanting to break the bank after putting $250 this week in a $300 truck ive only had for 2 weeks.

I am looking for something pretty common that a local shop close to where I am going tomorrow may have on the shelf possibly. any suggestions are so greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance guys
VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Hopefully somebody can give you some advice so we can crawl tomorrow.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well since it is worm drive it is not important to have drag break ,the main thing to look for is something that will have immediate forward to reverse.Since you are brushed it should be fairly easy to find.
Dennis P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i want to eventually go with the goat setup but im not ready to drop that much into this rig just et.. i'm already more into the night crawler than i expected.. i expected to build a comp crawler in a few months and drop this kinda $$ into it.. i just need something that will work and is as affordable as possible as well as a temporary fix kinda thing.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

One of the cool features about the castle stuff is you can go from brushed to brushless with same esc. i dont know how some of the sensorless brushless stuff works in a worm drive but could be an option.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If you go ahead and get a ESC that will do brushed and sensored brushless now you'll save cash in the long run by not wasting money now, the Goat 3s ESC is alright but the Mamba Max Pro is cheaper and will work better. I installed a MMP in a LNC yesterday with a 55t handwind, on 4s it has good speed and power in binds but still lacks the power to slap itself down or pop over obstacles like brushless does.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

novak rooster crawler.. works fine
fabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the advice guys..i was in need of an esc bad for a comp yesterday and was getting desperate... i had made up my mind on the castle esc but walked into a local shop and picked up a perfect rooster crawler off the guy that worked there who had just swapped to brushless with his crawler. His price was right and he soldered some new deans and everything for me in the store so i could finish my install trackside and get my rig working!

he got some return investment on his rooster, i got a great ESC for a great deal AND made it to the comp and was able to run the truck for the first time.

this setup will do me fine for now as i am tapped out on my crawler fund for a while... i am def wanting a goat setup after seeing one in action yesterday but that will have to wait for a while ;).