Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: waterproof lipos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default waterproof lipos?

i know max amps makes their lipos waterproof, but how water proof are they?
my gf likes to run her 1/16 e-revo in the water and i wanna buy packs that will be compatible with my crawling rig as well so how water proof are they? and does anyone else make waterproof lipos?

thanks!
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Don't be afraid to run lipos in water, I run my Hobbyking brand lipos all the time underwater and in nasty mud, also have a thuderpower 5400 2s thats been in water too many time to count, still holds a full charge and no problems.
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Maxamps say theres are water proof but i don't know anyone who has one.
newtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoy View Post
Maxamps say theres are water proof but i don't know anyone who has one.
they have a vid on their web site showing a scaler under water.... im guessing showing their product in abusive conditions
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I don't go water proof..but water resistant. Put the lipo in a plastic baggy and secure the open end with a metal tie real tight.

can run in mud, snow, water...
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

IMHO, it's a waste of time and money waterproofing a LiPo. A battery is just two or three cells held to each other with shrink wrap, and wired together. Each cell is totally sealed from the factory. Have you seen one that got abused and swelled up? Then burst? If you have it will leave no doubt that serviceable cells are totally sealed. Electrolyte doesn't get out, water can't get in. Water is not a good electrlyte so getting the connectors wet is not a concern. As long as the cells and wiring are protected from physical damage, which a properly packed battery is, there is nothing to worry about.

I dunk mine often enough, never an issue. I wouldn't pay a cent more for a "waterproof" pack, it's a gimmick (in my opinion ).

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
IMHO, it's a waste of time and money waterproofing a LiPo. A battery is just two or three cells held to each other with shrink wrap, and wired together. Each cell is totally sealed from the factory. Have you seen one that got abused and swelled up? Then burst? If you have it will leave no doubt that serviceable cells are totally sealed. Electrolyte doesn't get out, water can't get in. Water is not a good electrlyte so getting the connectors wet is not a concern. As long as the cells and wiring are protected from physical damage, which a properly packed battery is, there is nothing to worry about.

I dunk mine often enough, never an issue. I wouldn't pay a cent more for a "waterproof" pack, it's a gimmick (in my opinion ).

Cheers.
X2, I have run mine underwater with no issue whatsoever, but then if your not sure about it just put it in a ziplock bag and ziptie the opening and you should be good to go
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Does anyone know if the ckrc hardcase lipos are waterproof??
dogzpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've run Gen Ace, Zippy, Flight Max, Turnigy, Rhino, and Blue lipos in all of my scale rigs. All have been submerged multiple times over several months(some packs, it has been years) w/o issue.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I've run Gen Ace, Zippy, Flight Max, Turnigy, Rhino, and Blue lipos in all of my scale rigs. All have been submerged multiple times over several months(some packs, it has been years) w/o issue.
+1.

Unless the water has salt (like....ummmm....the ocean), or lots of iron in fresh water, you can dunk pretty much any battery into water with no issues.
Dunking powered electronics is a totally different issue.........

In general, just make sure you dry out your packs if they get wet/soaked. This helps prevent corrosion that can kill connections within the pack.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
x2m the maxamps thing, just like everything they do, is another gimmick to sell over priced garbage lipos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
+1.

Unless the water has salt (like....ummmm....the ocean), or lots of iron in fresh water, you can dunk pretty much any battery into water with no issues.
Dunking powered electronics is a totally different issue.........

In general, just make sure you dry out your packs if they get wet/soaked. This helps prevent corrosion that can kill connections within the pack.
But if your running in that type of water, the batteries are not the only thing to be worried about and really not even the top priority. Salt water is extremely corrosive.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
But if you're running in that type of water, the batteries are not the only thing to be worried about and really not even the top priority. Salt water is extremely corrosive.
I absolutely agree, salt water is bad news for most metals, even cheap stainless steel.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote