Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking for more wheelspeed, advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Looking for more wheelspeed, advice please

I'm running a rooster crawler esc, 55 t novak motor, thunder power 1350ma 2s 30c packs on my scx10 with 2.2 tires. I'm looking for a bit more wheels speed and I'm not sure witch direction to go. I bought the charger and packs less than two months ago as a way to try out lipos without spending too much. Now that I've messed with them and no longer "afraid" of them I was thinking about going to some 3 or even 4 cells packs. That however would cause me to have to upgrade my esc since the novak crawler can only hold 2s packs.

I've messed with an old stock 27t in the truck and it's fun but the amp draw is too much and causes quite a bit of heat in the small packs and the 18g factory wire on them. Also, I don't really need as much speed as that old motor can generate. Even geared lower it is still a bit much. I would like to just pony up, go brushless and buy some 4 cell packs but that's just too much coin to drop at once.

If I go brushless, would that in itself give me enough wheel speed to be somewhere between the 55 and 27t motors? Will that be a large draw on these "small" packs? Should I just buy a 35 turn motor and some higher ma packs?

Thanks for the help!
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I would go 35t FXR, Castle, or Holmes ESC, and at least 3s lipo. I think you will like the combo of speed as well as control. Going with a higher mah will just give you longer run times.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

You arnt really going to get much wheel speed with a novak, i had the same setup and quickly changed it out. I have a 35 turn tekin with a fxr esc and running a 11.1 lipo with insane crazy wheel speed. I think you are going to have to change your motor to see any difference.
lowandslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

being you have the battery packs already, go with a 35 turn. i found 35 turn on 7.2 volts to be enough. the other option is to go 3s lipo, but iirc the rooster crawler doesnt have 3s cutoff.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
JSN
Quarry Creeper

to me a 55T on 3's is about the same wheel speed as a 35T on 2's... so either volt up(can't with the rooster) or buy a good 35T hand wound

if it were me I'd be looking at a more versital ESC and some 3's packs... maybe a new motor as well. For me, anything more than a 35T hand wound on 3's is just over kill.... FUN, but still more wheel speed than you really need in a crawler or scaler... unless your rock racing or bashing more than crawling.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
FUN, but still more wheel speed than you really need in a crawler or scaler... unless your rock racing or bashing more than crawling.
It's hard to know where to draw the line. Fun speeds aren't usually scale and sometimes scale speeds aren't that fun. After all the posts, I'm leaning toward a new motor/esc combo for now and bigger packs in the future.

Something water proof would be nice, what are my options there?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
I would go 35t FXR, Castle, or Holmes ESC, and at least 3s lipo. I think you will like the combo of speed as well as control. Going with a higher mah will just give you longer run times.

That's the ticket!
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

A 35t motor would probably do you well, but a 45t may be more of the ticket if you think your electronics are not up to stuff. The novak 55t is really just a slightly better lathe motor....moving to a nice handwound motor will be a big difference in all terms of power. I don't see why your current setup would not handle a 35-45t....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
It's hard to know where to draw the line. Fun speeds aren't usually scale and sometimes scale speeds aren't that fun. After all the posts, I'm leaning toward a new motor/esc combo for now and bigger packs in the future.

Something water proof would be nice, what are my options there?
Holmes Hobbies esc came be bought water proof and Max Amps lipos can be had water proof also.Brushless is a problem with water so a brushed motor can be a better setup.I run a 45T setup on 3s with good wheel speed and great bottom end control still.
Dennis P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Debunking old stereotypes

Tekin FXR Pro, a 35t, and a 3S and you'll be happy as a kid in a candy store
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I run a Rooster Crawler esc with a Trintiy 27t motor, stock gearing with a 2s 5000mah lipo. Good wheel speed and torque. Have had it in my SCX10 since I built it over a year ago. This combo has never let me down....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Or ya could pick up a Verlineon brushless set up from someone upgrading a slash 4x4. Waterproof and plenty of wheelspeed on 2s but not really crawler control or instant reverse. A 35t may do the trick for ya if the 27t was too much.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The traxxas combos have horrible low speed control.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I run a 3s on a rooster and a 55t motor and have good wheel speed but I too want more wheel speed so I'm going HH 35t. I have had no problem with a 3s on the rooster just have to keep an eye on things no cut off.
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Torquemaster BR-XL Waterproof ESC (80Amp continous and 6S rated with a 6 volt, 5amp BEC).

Good 35T motor

Hyperion G3 VX 3S battery (the battery is subjective, I like the Hyperions but there are other good batteries ou there).
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
I was thinking about going to some 3 or even 4 cells packs. That however would cause me to have to upgrade my esc since the novak crawler can only hold 2s packs.!
The quickest, easiest way to add wheelspeed and torque is more voltage. So you had the right idea, go 3S. Any brushed motor that will give better performance on 2S than a Novak 55 on 3S is gonna hit yer back pocket harder than some 3S packs. Brushless may give the boost but that hits the pocket even harder, you will certainly need a new ESC, and probably better batteries too. Ouch!

Try a 3S first (beg, borrow or steal one for a test run) then decide. A Novak Rooster can run 3S, so why not try it first. Seeing that you have considered a new ESC anyhow, it won't hurt much if it blows smoke. My guess is it'll be fine.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
it won't hurt much if it blows smoke.
yeah but then I can't sell it to recoupe some costs of the new stuff. HH got back to me so I think I'm going to go with a machine wound 35t for now and see how it works
Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I don't mean to suggest you just abuse it and toss it. Your question has been asked many times before, and the answer is still the same. The Novak Rooster can take 3S. If you run a 27T motor and 16t pinion (stock RTC) on 3S you might be pushing it, but a 55T with 14t or even a 12t pinion, the Rooster doesn't break a sweat. I've been running mine for about a year like this.

What I am suggesting is that you borrow a 3S pack for a quick five minute test and see for yourself. The difference in performance is like chalk and cheese. I firmly believe you would have to be very unlucky to burn your Rooster doing this. Then make your motor, ESC and battery decision with your eyes open.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I didn't figure you meant for me to kill it. I was under the impression that the rooster couldn't handle the voltage. I wasn't aware that the issue with running 3 cells is because the esc is setup to shutdown at 80% of a 2 cell pack.

I guess I could even run it with an external low voltage warrning device and let it be at that.

Too many options, so little money :(
Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

There's been a few threads on this subject. True, it doesn't have 3 cell cut-off. Some say to run an external cut-off, I don't and it's never hurt me. When LiPo's get low the voltage drops like a greasy brick, I just stop as soon as I feel it go.

Do a little snooping around, the Rooster is well covered, as is the wheelspeed question and the 2S or 3S question. It's all in here, but ya gotta look.

Cheers.