Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder Esc on/off switch not working.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sidewinder Esc on/off switch not working.

K. so I just put my new sidewinder on my crawler since I moved the tekin over to the scaler. Got it all plugged in and plug in the battery and Bang it comes on. I figure I had it on when I plugged it in but no. I can switch the switch back and forth and it stays on the hole time.

My set up is

Sidewinder Esc
CC Bec
Jr 9100t servo
Hr dig with Jr st126 dig servo
Dx3 radio with Losi 3 ch. RX

The Bec is wired directly to the battery line, the red wire is pulled out of RX plug.
I understand the steering works when battery is plugged in but why the hell would the esc come on with the switch on or off. I'm confused
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I've had 6 or 7 castle speedos and the first three the switches went bad after about a few weeks. So I think they just use cheap switches. Now as soon as i get a speedo I cut it off and just solder it. If you run lipo you have to unplug the battery after every run anyways. Most of my rc friends have had the same problem with their switches.

So your switch is most likely broke in the "On" position. Which is unusual cause typically they wear out and loose contact (off postion).
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Mine stays on when the battery is plugged in too... BUT only the steering works when the switch is in the off position. So maybe thats normal.? To me this is nice, because if im setting up my steering there is no way the truck will take off.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
Mine stays on when the battery is plugged in too... BUT only the steering works when the switch is in the off position. So maybe thats normal.? To me this is nice, because if im setting up my steering there is no way the truck will take off.
Except when you turn off the switch but forget to unplug the batt and kill a lipo.

I remove my switches and just unplug the battery.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
I remove my switches and just unplug the battery.
Same here. Started doing that after watching a guy take a DNF at a comp last year when his switch failed. He didn't figure it out until after the fact.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

wow i must have one of those great sidewinder switche's....i leave it in the on postion and "ALWAYS" unplug battery....to get this straight, if i solder the wires together it is in the on postion then, just in case it goes.............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
wow i must have one of those great sidewinder switche's....i leave it in the on postion and "ALWAYS" unplug battery....to get this straight, if i solder the wires together it is in the on postion then, just in case it goes.............bob

Yep.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yep. Soldering them together = always on.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I think i'll end up doing that. But it did kinda catch me off guard because the first thing you think of is that its getting power from somewhere else somehow. Now I'm trying to program it manually until get my castle link and when I plug it in it doesnt beep or anything. I need to program it to run a brushed motor. I cant even get it to beep. Does it only beep when a brushless motor is hooked up. The directions tell me to listen to the "4 beeps" I dont even hear one beep. Not even the sound of it initializing. Doesn't look good for the sidewinder. Its brand new too. Just got it in a trade from a vendor (not his fault though it was sealed in the package).
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley View Post
I think i'll end up doing that. But it did kinda catch me off guard because the first thing you think of is that its getting power from somewhere else somehow. Now I'm trying to program it manually until get my castle link and when I plug it in it doesnt beep or anything. I need to program it to run a brushed motor. I cant even get it to beep. Does it only beep when a brushless motor is hooked up. The directions tell me to listen to the "4 beeps" I dont even hear one beep. Not even the sound of it initializing. Doesn't look good for the sidewinder. Its brand new too. Just got it in a trade from a vendor (not his fault though it was sealed in the package).

It's ok. The sidewinder is fine.

First, Castle speedos come preprogrammed for "Brushless" from the factory. Those beeps you here come from the motor believe it or not. Since it's set on brushless and trying to beep through a brushed motor it's VERY VERY quietly. You need to practically put your ear on the motor to hear but it is beeping.

Also you can follow the Light flashes on the speedo. They correspond with the "beeps".

Or, if you have a brushless motor laying around with 4mm bullet connectors just plug it in outside you truck and youll hear the beaps loud and clear. Hope this helps you man, I know how electronics can be frustrating!

Last edited by Blood_Clod; 05-03-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

you tha man. When I get home from work today I'll check it out. Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Official Cook of the ECC

Yep, sounds come from the motor, not the ESC. Loud on a brushless, quieter but still audible on a brushed.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post

It's still working because you don't use it.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The more I think about it... Do Castle speedos flash with the corresponding beeps? Can you either look at the flashes or hear the beeps? I though thats what I did but not sure now.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
The more I think about it... Do Castle speedos flash with the corresponding beeps? Can you either look at the flashes or hear the beeps? I though thats what I did but not sure now.
Yes
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
It's still working because you don't use it.
i used for the first year i had it, then thought why if i'm unpluging the batt ............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote