Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is my ESC fried?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
1*

Default Is my ESC fried?

Ok, this isn't for a crawler, but it's close. My son and I have a couple of Tamiya Hummers that we play around with. I put Mtronik Eco 20s in both of them about a year ago and they have worked flawlessly. Over the weekend I upgraded all my batteries and the esc leads on the hummers to Deans connectors. Tonight my son was in the living room seeing what he could climb/drive over (future rock crawler) and he runs in and says "it won't go forward." I check it out and sure enough it had reverse but no forward.

The esc is rated to 20t - 9.6v - 4500mah. I was running a stock 540 motor, 6 cell 3300mah battery. This particular Hummer is our "shelf queen," clean as a whistle and rarely run outdoors. I'd estimate the esc probably doesn't have 2 hours of total use over the last year.

Soooo- how do you tell when an esc gives up the ghost? Do they just lay down and die or is it common to lose forward or reverse while the other still works? I still get the green/red indicator lights on the esc. I also tried reprogramming it several times. All the lights come on at the right time during programming, but the end result is always no forward movement. I also tried replacing the batteries in the transmitter, that made no difference. Any ideas guys? Thanks for any help.
rcr3fan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Try and check the wires in the recevier plug. It sounds like one is loose and not making contact or the wire might have a cut in it. While your at it, check the pins in the receiver to make sure they are not bent.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #3

I've had M'troniks ESC's just stop working aswell. Just out of the blue no more reverse happened with my Speed max. Mij Super truck just stopped after racing it for 5 mins I parked the truck in the dry grass to wait for the rest to finish and a minute later....nothing just broken.

Jasper
Bulliehead is offline   Reply With Quote