Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Steering but no throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Steering but no throttle

So I took the Cherokee out wheeling with me today and it did great! Such a blast! Anyway, after about 45min of playing around the throttle just died. I thought the battery was getting low so I set it aside. I got home and charged up the battery, plugged it in and still no throttle. I'm running a Novak Goat3s w/ 8Cell nihm pack w/ 14/87 gearing.

With everything powered on, I get steering but no throttle. The ESC lights like it's ready to run, but when I pull the trigger for forward and the red LED goes to green (solid) and then back to the red and flashes. If I apply reverse, the red LED flashes.

Sometimes, I can give it throttle, and it'll jump forward and then stop, then no throttle response.

Any help?

I read the Trouble shooting, and the sketchy info in it points to motor damage... ok, how?

Last edited by 2JSC; 05-06-2010 at 12:42 AM.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

One thing I would check first is to see if the esc reset itself to factory settings. I have had this happen a few times with other esc's. You know, have the throttle pulled full when you turn on the rig until you hear the beep and so on.

The other thing and I'm not sure of this but are you running a bec? I had a bec go out on me and it also did the same thing. when I plugged the power wire from my esc back into the receiver all was fine but when I unplugged it as you are supposed to with the bec, nothing!

Good luck James, hope you figure it out!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I thought the same thing about it resetting itself, and tried reprogramming it twice without luck. Not running a bec right now, waiting for my castle link to show up so I can program it. Got it used from Norm and it set at 8.1v... too much for my servo. It was running perfectly fine the whole time. I was thinking it might have over heated, but I checked for that right when the issue came up and both the ESC and motor were not even warm to the touch. So the gearing is ok for this setup as well?

Thanks for the help Brian.

Last edited by 2JSC; 05-06-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I reprogrammed the ESC just now, and tested it. It ran forward and reverse for about 30 seconds and then the same thing. Seems like something is wrong with the motor. :(
Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

kind of a shot in the dark but see if your brushes are hanging up. i had the same thing happen on my honcho last weekend after a hour of trail running. i got some dirt in the brushes and they were sticking. snapped them in and out a few times and problem fixed.
Fordx4Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

This is a brushless motor.

Forgot to mention it's a Ballistic Crawler 18.5t motor with the Goat3s ESC.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If you are not running a BEC, then the internal BEC could be failing on the ESC. It seems that most servos are just too much draw on crawlers ESC.

I will say that I have not owned the 3S, but it seems to be a common problem with most ESCs. Just something to look into too
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

And your steering works properly whether the motor is working or not?
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
And your steering works properly whether the motor is working or not?
Steering works just fine weather I'm giving it throttle or not. It's just a Spektrum Z590 that I'm running until I get my CCBEC reprogrammed which is currently @ 8.1v from the previous owner.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

have you tried the Novak products thread?

Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Hey guys,

I just wanted to create a thread so that we could try to consolodate as much information possible in one place so that you don't have to go searching through 10 different threads in an effort to find the information you're looking for.

Charlie and I will do our best to check in here from time to time, but I strongly urge you to email or call us with your questions for the fastest response!

Steve@teamnovak.com, charlie@teamnovak.com tech@teamnovak.com

(949)833-8873

-Steve
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
have you tried the Novak products thread?

Official Novak Crawler Products Thread
I haven't but thank you! I'll be in contact with them shortly. If I can't get it or a new one working properly, I might just buy a sidewinder and a couple of brushed motors and throw some 3s lipos at it.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Had an issue like that with on of my Tekin brushless set ups...the magnets came unglued with heat do to a poor bonding process...
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

make sure all your wires are in contact i know its seems noobish but just check after hard play some things just come loose
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

^ Noobish I know, but I checked. The thing comes pre-soldered so no issues there and all the plugs were in the reciever and all connected tightly. Sent an email to Novak. Hope to hear back.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Check the sensor harness to make sure it's plugged in and no wires are broke. The wires are pretty fragile where they meet the plugs and only one being broke will cause the issue you describe. I've had to use a magnafing glass or tug the wires to find a broken one before.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Check the sensor harness to make sure it's plugged in and no wires are broke. The wires are pretty fragile where they meet the plugs and only one being broke will cause the issue you describe. I've had to use a magnafing glass or tug the wires to find a broken one before.
I check. They are all in good shape and connected tightly. I hooked up my CCBec after getting a link to adjust the voltage. Dropped it to 6.0v from 8.4v... hooked it up in the system and still no go, so it's not the internal BEC. Looks like motor failure.

Hopefully Novak will get back to me on Monday with some help, and maybe send it in for warranty work.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

well that sucks sorry man hope they email you back to get it all figured out
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote