Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak brushless crawler problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Novak brushless crawler problem

I currently have a Novak 2s brushless crawler system. Im running it in at R2 dig transmission.

I have got about 15 packs through this system and i love it... It is very smooth,powerful, with expo adjustments in my radio i could make this thing slower than a slug. but now i have a issue. from Neutral ( no trigger input) to very slight pull i consistently get a big jolt or twitch which makes my truck jump forward and is a real issue when crawling now.i am certain this is coming from the motor electrically twitching/jolting and not the transmission. This never ever happend before. but when driving/cruising the truck is driving fine but when i give initial input of throttle the motor jumps/jolts on me.

I have tried:
-Calibrating my radio inputs to the esc with no radio adjustments.
-Tried different batteries ( 7.4 lipos)
-Inspected wiring and connections
-inspected capacitor for damage/loose connections
-gear mesh and checked for any drive line binding.

I feel like im missing something because i dont think this is a radio glitch more then a problem with the Novak system. i really enjoy the brushless system for runtime and efficiency. im thinking about upgrading to the Goat 3s system with the ballistics motor. im not sure if there is any significant changes/updates to that system except running 3s lipos but if i cant get this under control im ither going with the goat 3s or go back to commutators and brushes

Setup:
M11x radio 2.4Ghz with fhss-2 receiver
Novak brushless crawler system
CC BEC set at 6.0v
HS-5645MG dig servo
CS170 steering.

Any input would help thanks
Chadh4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Ah, the ole Goat glitch. Check the sensor harness real good and try maxing the deadband in the ESC programming.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have the same problem could be more detailed
mactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Ah, the ole Goat glitch. Check the sensor harness real good and try maxing the deadband in the ESC programming.
I will inspect the harness and pins on the esc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactech View Post
I have the same problem could be more detailed
i will post a video of the problem later today.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I've had wires break right at the connector. The silver can motors are bad about the harness getting yanked at the motor end and coming loose inside, the motor is trash at that point, it's happened to 3 or 4 guys at our club myself included.

The systems hate radio's that aren't 2.4, maxing the deadband is the only hope there, it sometime's helps with 2.4. One of the goat glitches is full throttle as soon as the truck is turned on and can only be fixed by doing the one touch again.

If you switch ESC's do yourself a huge favor and choose a MMP over the 3s Goat, it's cheaper, works better, more programmable, easier programming, handle's more voltage, works with any motor instead of requiring a Novhack Crawler motor and works better brushed if your willing to give up the power to run brushed.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCATZiqP9m0

Last edited by Chadh4x; 05-09-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
I've had wires break right at the connector. The silver can motors are bad about the harness getting yanked at the motor end and coming loose inside, the motor is trash at that point, it's happened to 3 or 4 guys at our club myself included.

The systems hate radio's that aren't 2.4, maxing the deadband is the only hope there, it sometime's helps with 2.4. One of the goat glitches is full throttle as soon as the truck is turned on and can only be fixed by doing the one touch again.

If you switch ESC's do yourself a huge favor and choose a MMP over the 3s Goat, it's cheaper, works better, more programmable, easier programming, handle's more voltage, works with any motor instead of requiring a Novhack Crawler motor and works better brushed if your willing to give up the power to run brushed.
I will attempt maxing the deadband.

But im starting to think a MMP esc or just a mamba max with a ballistics 18.5 might be the next route i go. because all other electric cars i have run CC esc's and motors lol, my crawler is the only Novak thing i got.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

MMP is what i would do that what i run in my LCC and the regular MM will cog like crazy with a sensored motor.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
MMP is what i would do that what i run in my LCC and the regular MM will cog like crazy with a sensored motor.
Especially the 18.5 with it's 14mm rotor. That thing barely turns by hand.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
yeah makes sense , i will go with the MMP just need to decide on the 18.5 or 21.5 not sure if i want more wheel speed or torque at this point. im still pissed on the fact that i spent 200 bucks on this system and cant fix it. hopefully i can sell the esc.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

It seems like a sensor issue unless it's some issue with rx placement, you could try moving the rx for a test run and see how it does. That's pretty much how mine was doing at the end of the harnesses life, is the rubber grommet coming out of the back of the motor broke yet, seems about when that grommet lets loose is when this starts?

Not sure which motor you have now (18.5 or 21.5) but here's some info to help you chose motors, you can see the 14mm rotors slow the ballistic motors way down.
Ballistic 21.5: 1350KV
Ballistic 18.5: 1650KV
silver can 21.5: 1800KV
silver can 18.5: 2700KV