Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX6i or DX7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DX6i or DX7

Which one would you get? I am helping a fellow newbie with starting out and he wants to use a stick radio. I use the DX7 for helis so it would be easy for me to help him program his radio over the phone (he's in Utah and I'm in DC). But, the DX6i seems to be more popular with the crawler crowd.

Personally I think the extra $ for an additional channel is well spent. More flexibility for other aspects of the hobby comes to mind. Plus, the way RC crawling is going, we're gonna needs 12 channels pretty soon!!

One thing concerns me: Does the DX6i have the same type of mixing as the DX7? I assume it is very similar since the 6 is somewhat popular in the heli world. Is the user interface the same as the DX7? I'm wondering if it programs the same way...although I realize it has the roller on the right side as opposed to the DX7 which uses push buttons for menu changes.

Maybe I should go to the LHS and put my "fat fangers" on a DX6i and play with it a bit.

There's a lotta damn words to ask: How do the two radios compare?
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There it is..
I been wearin out the search button but i know nothing.

How are these comp rigs setup? You have one for steering, throttle, one for motor, then two for dig, two for cuttin brakes?
how you controlling all these channels with pistol radio?
Geez moa takes 1 per motor to right?

does anyone comp with sticks? advantages/disadvantages?

I hope theres someone that has some great knowledge about at least one of these radio's

i yih yih
KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The dx7 is really overkill on a crawler unless ya have a scaler with lots of moving stuff. $100 for one channel is crazy since ya don't need all the extra features. Basic moa setup with sticks and dual esc is: steering on aileron, front motor on throttle, rear motor on elevator with a mix on the throttle/elevator for 4wd. Rear steer would go on the rudder with a mix from aileron if it's a super. The advantage is the independent front and rear motor control. And yes, lots of folks run sticks on moas.
I have not seen any cutting brakes yet but the new axial will have that option using one channel with 3 position switch. Check out the 4pk thread on running a dual esc moa with a pistol. Ya can also run one esc with dig switch.

Last edited by oldhippie; 05-13-2010 at 09:17 AM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have a 7, a friend just picked up a 6i and brought it over to modify. my 7 was cake to modify, the 6 didn't have any of the pins or spring retainer to center the left stick, I had to cut pins and figure out how to attach the spring.
I think the 7 just looks better. The programming and interface is different. the 7 has more mixing and a 3 position switch that the 6 doesn't have.
Lushtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
The dx7 is really overkill on a crawler unless ya have a scaler with lots of moving stuff. $100 for one channel is crazy since ya don't need all the extra features.
Well the used DX6is are selling for $100-$115 and the used DX7s are going for $150-$165. Seems to me the 7 would be a better buy especially if someone wants the option of flying helis or planks.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushtrucker View Post
I have a 7, a friend just picked up a 6i and brought it over to modify. my 7 was cake to modify, the 6 didn't have any of the pins or spring retainer to center the left stick, I had to cut pins and figure out how to attach the spring.
I think the 7 just looks better. The programming and interface is different. the 7 has more mixing and a 3 position switch that the 6 doesn't have.
This is the sort of thing I need to know...can you in a few words describe how different the UI is? If programming is drastically different then we might be better off with the DX7. Does the 6 allow you to switch swashplate configuration and if so, how many selections does it offer for these...3?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #7

Hi
Did you consider the futaba 8fg ? I have it and just love it . It's about the same price as the dx7 and has quite a lot of stuff over the dx7 (5 programs mix , awful lot of 3 position switch , 2 rotation dial , sd card input , touch pad like ipod pretty intuitive too ...) .
I have the 4pk and the 8fg and apart the vibration stuff the 4pk has (I never use anyway) the 8fg just blast off the 4pk in any dirrection/posibilities and is 60-100$ cheaper .

Hope it helps
shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Check out this new radio we just started carying

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...38#post2452738
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailrotorblade View Post
This is the sort of thing I need to know...can you in a few words describe how different the UI is? If programming is drastically different then we might be better off with the DX7. Does the 6 allow you to switch swashplate configuration and if so, how many selections does it offer for these...3?
the 6i has 2 options for swash configuration, the older 90 deg. and 120 ccpm. I use the 6i for heli's and my dx3r for all my surface rc's. If you have the 7 and the 7 is easier to mod, go with the 7.
Rc_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If money is well spent i dont see a problem but considering both radios are similar minus one more channel and a switch or something id like to stick with 6. but yeah who knows maybe i would get heli in next couple yrs (doubt i could control) but id rather not buy another radio either.

mixing stuff i have no idea about. I know the stick mod can be done cause i was told by guy on here it could just gotta find him now.
backlit mod can be done, with and indicator light.
now couldnt we change a switch to 3 position? well maybe its not that simple...

ill check into futaba today....thanks
please keep comments coming or if you could send me to someone that would be cool
KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote