Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: mamba max rewiring question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default mamba max rewiring question

is it possible to unsolder the factory wiring leads off of one of these and re-solder new ones to it?

if it is, how hot of an iron should i use? would a 40W pencil iron be hot enough??

thanks for the info, i am not much of an electronics man, but it is killing me seeing a perfectly good MM sit in my drawer when all it needs is some re-wiring....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

if you are not comfortable with soldering i would suggest leaving a 1/2" of wire on the board and soldering to that.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

maybe, but one of the reasons i need to do a re-solder is because one of the wires frome my receiver p lug is off the board....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

oh, for the receiver leads, you should be ok with a 40w, just try to make it quick, dont put too much heat in tot he board..... i thought you meant the motor/battery leads.

i have soldered servo leads back on a sidewinder before, it's a bit tricky, but it can be done with a small tip and a steady hand.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Well, i was thinking about just doing that, too, replacing the battery and motoer leads, maybe even eliminating the 3rd one coming off of it sinca i am running a brushed motor...
Old 05-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
JSN
Quarry Creeper

you'll do ok with your 40w soldering iron on the receiver wire... a 40w pencil tip iron will NEVER hold enough heat to release the lead free solder used on the wire/motor leads. Can you get a chisel tip for your iron? 40W and a 3mm or so wide chisel tip MIGHT get the job done.

Honestly... at times I struggle desolering lead free motor/battery leads with my 70W iron using a 4mm tip... resoldering is never an issue but it's darn hard to get the heat into to lead free solder and thicker wires WITHOUT over heating the surrounding area.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
you'll do ok with your 40w soldering iron on the receiver wire... a 40w pencil tip iron will NEVER hold enough heat to release the lead free solder used on the wire/motor leads. Can you get a chisel tip for your iron? 40W and a 3mm or so wide chisel tip MIGHT get the job done.

Honestly... at times I struggle desolering lead free motor/battery leads with my 70W iron using a 4mm tip... resoldering is never an issue but it's darn hard to get the heat into to lead free solder and thicker wires WITHOUT over heating the surrounding area.
thanks for the input. would clipping the motor/battery leads down as close to the board as possible and then carefully drilling through the hole with a small drill bit a possible solution??