Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin Drag Brake Summary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tekin Drag Brake Summary

I thought I would put together my thesis on the tekin drag brake dilema and see if I could clear up what I believe are some misdirected thoughts on Tekin's FXR. It appears to me that there is a love hate with this thing and I think the haters are misguided. Here is why. I hooked up my brand new FXR the other day only to find the drag brake was not working properly. With great help from Tekin this is what I have done and found.
1. Played with settings. A bunch. Poor Drag Brake.
2. Installed different/older motor. Poor Drag Brake.
3. Installed a buddies FXR. Poor Drag Brake.
4. Installed a traxxis radio and reciever. Poor Drag Brake.
5. Bypassed BEC and ran it. Poor Drag Brake.
6. Went into hotwire and backed off all braking. No brake at all!!!! Made me realize the drag was trying to work but not working all the way.
7. Re-engaged drag brake and put it on my incline and when it started to roll backwards from climbing I slightly engaged the throttle to bring it to a stop and it would lock up and stay locked up. This basically told me that my +/- leads were finally crossing at the motor properly (This combined with a LHS mechanics comments that a drag brake is only for Brushless made me think about something).

Most things in this world that are highly tunable are also known for needing the "things" dependant on it to also be in perfect working order. I would bet that many of the haters out here that bash the FXR are probalby like me using an incompatible part with this esc. Sure it is always likely that tekin will have a product fail but I am guessing that many issues are actually related to other poducts not engaging with the system right. One of the challenges here in Dallas is very few tech guys in shops know much about crawler electronics. I have had to self diagnose much of this myself. If anyone runs into similar problems let me know as I might be able to help. What say you all?

Other item of note. Tekin has first rate customer service!!
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The FXR is a Brushed only ESC though, and it does have drag brake. Drag brake however is more noticeable in racing, whereas in crawling, the vehicle is never really going fast enough for the "drag brake" to engage.

You sir are looking for a HOLD brake. The Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster has a HOLD brake and is basically a crawler specific ESC.
I never had any Drag brake issues with my FXR and I'm sure many here do not either. But for any ESC to completely stop you on an incline while moving simply by letting off the throttle is a hard task specifically for the reasons you mentioned. The motor has to be at the proper spot to "HOLD" you there. The higher turn motor you run, the stronger the "HOLD" will be.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default I don't know bout that

I hate to say it but according to Tekin tech support you should be able to set up the drag so tight on a FXR that it basically does in fact work as a hold brake. I hear guys say on here that they set the drag to high and the truck will endo when letting off the throttle. I was also aware of the fact that the esc is brushed. I appreciate you thoughts on hold versus drag but supposedly the FXR should be programmable to be strong enough to hold.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ok, First off. What truck are you running?? How much does it weigh?? What motor are you running?? And exactly what you have found that seems to correct this issue??

It seems as if you are asking help for a problem that you have already solved, yet have not revealed exactly what you have done to negate the problem.

So... Are you asking for help, or sharing your advice?

Last edited by jcboof; 05-13-2010 at 03:32 PM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like your throttle is not in the neutral position. Try backing off a few clicks and see what it does. My comp berg is at 60% and I believe the scaler was at 70%. Scaler would endo when you let off the throttle at 100% drag.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Help and help

I'm trying to offer some help and ask for help all the same. I'm running an axial based rig. Probably 5.5 lbs. Spektrum dx3 e. 3 s lipo. I'm running a brand new but old integy motor I'm also running a castle bec. I'm thinking my motor needs a tweekin.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I'm trying to offer some help and ask for help all the same. I'm running an axial based rig. Probably 5.5 lbs. Spektrum dx3 e. 3 s lipo. I'm running a brand new but old integy motor I'm also running a castle bec. I'm thinking my motor needs a tweekin.

cheap motors, bad brushes, stuck brushes coms in need of a cut, weak brush springs all contribute to a weak drage break, integy motors are by no means high end motors, they are very hit or miss, some ppl swear by them and others say they arnt even worth the $# it takes to package them.

try putting in a good motor and see what happens, tekin, homes hobby, novak, warrior, JP, there is lots of great choices out there for brushed motors
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Integy sucks, but what about this

Integy sucks so i am not hopeful about the motor. Anyway someone has pointed out that I might not understand the concept of drag brake, and maybe I am missing it. It is my understanding that the FXR "drag brake" can be set to work like a "hold brake" if set high enough. So if I am going up a climb, I can let off the gas and it will not roll backwards period. I can go down a decent no matter what angle drop to neutral and my truck will shut down. Right? That is what I am under the understanding a good system will do.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

to put it into a 1:1 perspective

drag brake would be like coming off the gas and pressing the brakes to slowly come to a stop
hold brake - is like coming off the gas and jamming on the brakes as hard as u possibly can.

the tekin fxr drag brake WILL hold your crawler, my tuber weights in at around 8lbs, 3s lipo tekin fxr with tekin 35t pro motor, at full throttle on flat ground if i come off the trigger tires lock on the rig stands up on end. even on carpet if i push down and forward on my crawler my tires will break taction befor the drag brake lets it roll
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
RCC Addict

It's been said in this thread already.
Your Tekin is not your issue.
Your primary issue is most likely the motor.
With Integy sometimes you get a decent motor, sometimes you don't.

The higher the wind the better the brake as long as the motor is good too.
JPH, Holmes or Warrior handwound motors will be consistently great motors with great drag, even in low winds.

Update your firmware on your Tekin to 030.
Calibrate the ESC to your Tx.
And trim your throttle if it's still needed.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Well th emotor may not have been it!!!!!!!!

Well I went today to Roy's hobby shop to take a look at my truck and it appeared to both of us that my motor was not locking up right on the drag brake. Well after a ton of fiddling tonight again it appears that something just is not working right. The one thing I am worried about is the radio again. It would almost appear that the brake kicks in fine if I snap off the esc but does not if I am gently rolling in and out of the throttle. So does anyone know if I need to be prepared to ditch my dx3e? Also how bout this. I have my throttle trim at zero on the side of the radio. I have my the knobs on top set at full open. I am lost. Chris at tekin is lost and Jason at Roys is lost so help!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

As has been stated, check your throttle trim on the radio and neutral width on the fxr . I have seen problems with the dx3e being very touchy on center.

Last edited by oldhippie; 05-15-2010 at 07:44 AM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default I checked it like seventy five times already

I wish it was really that simple for me.

1. I know for 100% certaintly that my trim is at zero.
2. I have tried every different end of the neutral spectrum. I know for certain that the esc is finding neutral and so does the leading hobby shop expert.

The only thing in my opinion is either cheap motors or something super micro is wrong with the radio/reciever. Or it is both the esc's I have tested.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Download the FXR setup sheet and post up your settings.

A couple things to look at are "Current Limiting" and "Push Control or Anti-Drag".

Dont set Current Limiting to the max value and set Push Control to the lowest setting or off.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

First off, if the LHS guy told you that drag brake is for brushless only, I'd never, ever go back to that shop. Period.

As has already been noted, you either have a problem with the motor or the neutral on your radio.

My FXR's on my 2.2 comp rig w/ either Tekin Handwound 35t's or Integy V11 35t's will endo it if you let off the throttle quickly at 100% drag.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default Different LHS guy

This has been an on going saga so let me clear up some stuff. I have also gone at this with a little ocd like approach so here you go. Jason at Roy's is about as good a guy as you can get in the DFW area for help with Crawler related issues. Great shop and great guy. The Brushless only shop was different and will not be the place I frequent. I will not get into shop names out of respect for them.

Anyway here is where I am at. Put a 45 turn cheap integy into a nice trinity can and put purple springs on the nicer brushes. Anyway I put it in my truck and went for my test hill. It is not perfect but MUCH better. I guess my truck is heavy. I am now going to try and narrow down my neutral to see if that helps. If I spring the throttle into neutral it seams to help. I am also going to try and order a nice hh motor now that I think I can say with strong confidence that was it!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
This has been an on going saga so let me clear up some stuff. I have also gone at this with a little ocd like approach so here you go. Jason at Roy's is about as good a guy as you can get in the DFW area for help with Crawler related issues. Great shop and great guy. The Brushless only shop was different and will not be the place I frequent. I will not get into shop names out of respect for them.

Anyway here is where I am at. Put a 45 turn cheap integy into a nice trinity can and put purple springs on the nicer brushes. Anyway I put it in my truck and went for my test hill. It is not perfect but MUCH better. I guess my truck is heavy. I am now going to try and narrow down my neutral to see if that helps. If I spring the throttle into neutral it seams to help. I am also going to try and order a nice hh motor now that I think I can say with strong confidence that was it!
Widening neutral(dead band) is what usually fixes the "not finding true neutral problem" so make sure you don't go too narrow. I'd try wider first.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

A friend of mine also had a problem getting the DX3e and the FXR to cooperate in regards to drag brake and reverse strength.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

No drag brake has alot to do with the motor. Buy a good HW motor and adjust your controller and ESC correctly and you will not have any problems. Love my Tekin
Bear132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default FXR all the way.

I have not had any problem with my FXR's hill brake and I am running a heavy ass TCS Edge chassis with almost a pound of lead in the front wheels! This rig stops dead on a 33 degree incline.
BadTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote