Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MMP problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default MMP problems

so i was playing with my scaler today, (Axial based, 3s lipos-35t brushed) and just havinbg fun on my break, out of no where it stoped working, thought it was the motor, get home pull every thing appart, then i realised when i play my battery pack in the esc didnt make its "armed" beep, look and no lights on on the esc, F*%#!! plug it into my castle link and lights come on and i can change all the settings etc.

im pretty sure there is nothing i can do, but should i check any thing obvious befor i send it in (3 week wait [so a month or more with shipping times])

check things like connections etc etc but is there like a reset on the esc or somthing?
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Try to boot it up with an external BEC or RX pack hooked into the RX. The internal regulator may be damaged.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

sorry, i should have mentioned i was running an external BEC..

so heres what i judt did.. disconected my BEC, pluged the red wire from esc to rx back in, pluged it in and connected my battery... lights came on and the esc worked normally as fas as i could tell, pulled the red wire and hooked my bec back up and esc still works....

sooo maybe somthing in the esc is loose? should i still be woried abuout sending it in , or run it untill it happens again? or maybe when i updated the firm ware when i pluged it into my castle link it fixed some kinda problem?

also when at nutral throttle should the center ligh be blinking or solid?

Last edited by ultimate_monkey; 05-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

sounds exactly like what happened to my sidewinder, except it still didn't work when i eliminated the BEC.

By the way castles repair service is super fast. They sent my new ESC out the day they got the broken one. I live in Korea and I had my new ESC less than 2 weeks after I sent it in.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
RCC Addict

How do you have your on/off switch mounted.
If you get lazy with a floppy switch they sometimes get beat up and stop working properly.
If the switch is bad internally, it will still work fine when using the link.

You could cut the switch, close the loop for the on/off leads and see how it works.
If it works good you could install a Deans Micro plug as a switch. Loop one plug and solder the other to the red and black on/off wires.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

my on off switch it mounted with dbl sided tape to the bottom of my body mount plate, other then jolts threw out the whole rig there is no way it could be hit. i know its not the switch, once i eliminated the external bec turning it on and off would still power the RX but the esc wouldnt come one. thats when i checked it with castle link, after that when i pluged it back in with and with out the bec the esc started to work again.

wouldnt cutting the on / off and installing mico deans void the warentee under the no modification to the esc bit?

i suppose i should mention iv only had this thing about a month and have about 4 hrs driving time on it.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

They didn't say anything about mine and I stripped the wires to try and jump the switch. I even had a shortened and re-connected wire for the Rx because mine wore through the insulation on the wire in a few places so I cut that part out.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You can modify your on/off switch (ie replace, remove) as long as you dont open the case.

When you had the failure, did anything work, servo's....?

If no, then it sounds like a power supply problem, since your BEC would still supply power if the esc died.

What connectors you using from the battery to the esc and bec? Real Deans or fake?
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

every thing worked except for the esc, servos etc worked just fine, and as always im useing real deans, excelent connections , like i said it just outta no where quit working.

it seems to work fine after i disconecte the external bec and powered every thing up, then i reconected my external bec and it still seems to be working, i made this post originally befor it randomly started to work again

Last edited by ultimate_monkey; 05-14-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Dirty servo plugs? Unplugging and plugging them can clean em a bit.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

this thing has barly seen dust yet.

but how would the servo plugs effect the ESC not powering up? when the esc quit, the servos all worked fine.