Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Power HD servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Power HD servos

I'm researching servos for a Venom Creeper. No comps just everyday bashing. The rig has Tekin FXR and 55t motor w/ a dig unit.

Anyone have any experience with them? They are priced pretty cheap compared to the Hitecs etc. Here are the ones I'm looking at. Specs look pretty good.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo

el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

never had none , but for bashing i'd say go for it , hell for the price you cant lose much!
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

i have the 1201. great price sub par performance. the whole output gear wobles pretty bad and it has less power than a 2 year old hitec 645 rated at 133oz/in i wanted to try the 235 but they were out. i dont see it lasting much longer than 4 months though. i thought this was my answer for more power cheap but i dont think i will be buying another, just spend a little more and stop replacing crap servos every month. i have went through about 4 servos that were rated good but from no good companies and they all died. both of the 645s that i have run great after 2 years. my next step will be top a real servo, from a good company.
27cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27cameron View Post
i have the 1201. great price sub par performance. the whole output gear wobles pretty bad .
cameron your top case is broken where the middle gear shaft rides in it replace it with another case $2.99 don't know about the power thing cause i've never owned a high priced servo but I suspect the broken case is causing that I know i've went through a couple of them till I put a good servo saver on, the cases seem kind of cheap on them. crawford performance has some pretty good servos for 21 bucks i've been beating the snot out of one of those on a wheely king with no servo saver for a couple of months now with NO failure for the money the crawford servos are a much better deal in my opinion
cr500rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
I'm researching servos for a Venom Creeper. No comps just everyday bashing. The rig has Tekin FXR and 55t motor w/ a dig unit.

Anyone have any experience with them? They are priced pretty cheap compared to the Hitecs etc. Here are the ones I'm looking at. Specs look pretty good.

I've got one on my SCX-10, Been going strong for a month now
I really like them for the price, and the case has gaskets too
Have yet to test their "waterproofness" though
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

If your gonna buy the hds get them here there a lot cheaper
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=21
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500rider View Post
If your gonna buy the hds get them here there a lot cheaper
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=21
yeah but the 1501MG is out of stock...

A-main has them in stock

Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I have a couple of power HD servos. I haven't used them much, but my initial impression is that they are not as good as the Tower Pro/ Hextronic servos. They draw quite a bit more current and had some strange irregularities in the movement toward full turn in my application. The main reason I haven't used them more is that most of my servo horns are for a futaba tooth count which they don't have (Strangely Amain says the 1501 has a futaba spline but my power HDs from Hobbyking do not fit my horns). Maybe once the cheapies I'm currently trying out die I'll test them more, they might be better than my initial impression led me to believe.

Anyway if you aren't comping do what I did and buy a few cheap servos from different brands and try them out. Just keep your expectations low and you wont be disappointed

Last edited by Knitewulfe; 05-14-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Huh ??? I have futaba 25 tooth servo horns on my HD servos
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500rider View Post
Huh ??? I have futaba 25 tooth servo horns on my HD servos
Yeah, I just tried it yesterday again. I haven't figured out what the count is on the spline yet but its not fitting my futaba alloy horns. It also stripped out the plastic futaba one I forced on it right away. I know... odd.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

just thought that i finally killed my 1201 but turns out the + lead broke off of the motor so i soldered it back on. my brother in law just broke his hitec 645 so instead of replacing the gears i am just going to get us both a 1501 and run it at 7.4 on troybuilt hobbies it says they can handle that and have 285oz/in of torque my brother in law doesnt want to spend over 30 bucks so might as well. once i kill that though im sure the new hitecs will be out with 600oz/ in and the hv will drop price a bit and i will get that.
27cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I ordered 1501MG from Amain, will do a review when I get it.
samguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

For $18 they are pretty damn good
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 AM   #14

Running the 1501MG on my creeper for a month now and am happy; very happy considering the price too. Its has really good torque and seems to be holding up so far. Time will tell. But again, really impressed with the performance/cost ratio so far. U usually get what u pay for tho, still waiting to see... Had to force a Futaba splined alloy horn on, but it was greased and went on with difficulty. Really tight though and I dont know it it'll come off then on again which sux.
mauibg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #15

Just installed 2 on my super stick and the one on the rear only lasted 2 mins. crawling in my living room...guess its time to send it back to Amain?
magicald is offline   Reply With Quote