Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: good place to buy a esc for scaler!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default good place to buy a esc for scaler!

need one that can handle 3s and has a drag brake and which is not a arm and a leg! if possible!!
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Suck it up!

How much is an arm and a leg?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
How much is an arm and a leg?

I am guessing to much
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

while on topic whats the cheapest esc with lipo cutoff?
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
while on topic whats the cheapest esc with lipo cutoff?
Did this site suddenly become Consumer Reports? Go check Holmes' site, or RPP, or Brian Hobbyland or something. Sheesh.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Cheapest I found was $79. Maybe someone can direct me to something cheaper with lipo cutoff.
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Did this site suddenly become Consumer Reports? Go check Holmes' site, or RPP, or Brian Hobbyland or something. Sheesh.

No, but i thought that this was a site for people to ask questions to get opinions and information... if no one asked questions, needed opinions or information then there would be no need for this site.

but hell ive been wrong before.
RebelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to these things.

Your best bet is to check those sites he listed and see what's out there. An hour of legwork is worth the learning experience.

I'm very pleased with the Novak Goat 2S (purple) but I haven't tried anything else for an extended period. The 3S is essentially the same thing. Drag brake, LiPo cutoff, etc...
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRacer View Post
No, but i thought that this was a site for people to ask questions to get opinions and information... if no one asked questions, needed opinions or information then there would be no need for this site.

but hell ive been wrong before.
what im thinking guess everybody wants to make a joke about everything! all i can say to them is , guess we need to put it in the rules no more questions! pretty fawking bad you ask a questions and poeple decides to be jackasses about it if you didnt like what you read coulda carried your asses to someones else post , i asked a simple question ....

Last edited by jon1197; 05-14-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Questions are good. Questions are fine. But the least a person can do is research a little before they ask. Its not hard, doesn't take alot of time, and chances are you'll either find your answer or at the very least learn something you didn't know before.

If you can't find an acceptable price for something from one of our fantastic site supporting vendors, go take a chance on ebay.

And my smart ass comment about the price of an arm and a leg was to get an actual price that was willing to be paid. Hard to make a suggestion if we don't know the budget.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 05-14-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A nice crawler specific speedo will set you back $100, end of story.

Suggestions: Holmes TM-BR, Tekin FX-R, Castle Mamba Max or Sidewinder. I myself am not a fan of the Orange, but many drivers run their gear and love it, so...
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ive searched , ive looked , ive even compared! im not going all out on this scaler its just a basher like the rest no comp just bashing the hell out ofit, i had a HH TM in a plastic box which had a crack in it i didnt know about til i drove off in a creek bed and water got all up in the box! not trying to be smartass by no means , just figured maybe there a esc that would be good with 3s and drag brake maybe somebody has came accross and would let me know about it, i have a lipo alarm so lipo cutoff doesnt have to be on it. but ill look more.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1197 View Post
ive searched , ive looked , ive even compared! im not going all out on this scaler its just a basher like the rest no comp just bashing the hell out ofit, i had a HH TM in a plastic box which had a crack in it i didnt know about til i drove off in a creek bed and water got all up in the box! not trying to be smartass by no means , just figured maybe there a esc that would be good with 3s and drag brake maybe somebody has came accross and would let me know about it, i have a lipo alarm so lipo cutoff doesnt have to be on it. but ill look more.
The TM-BR is available water proof as well

The issue here is if you want a good crawler specific set up (drag, instant reverse, etc) there's no getting around the price tag.

There are plenty of drivers running Traxxas XL5's because they're waterproof, but at $60 to $70 you'd be better off to just drop the additional coin and get what will serve you well for a long while for crawling.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

very true , just so much stuff going here lately didnt know if i was coming or going half the time, just getting settled back down and want to get my scaler going to take stuff off my mind i shoulda just done more research than i did but i didnt ........ sorry fellas!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Have you looked at this one yet? Cheap, handles 4s, and has a drag brake. Not sure of the opinions of it, but there have been a few threads in this section about them...

http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info...c7a9c24ca6bfe8
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Well the sidewinder is a nice esc that can handle 3s and is very user friendly/adjustable for around $70. I have one and it's treated me well.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Have you looked at this one yet? Cheap, handles 4s, and has a drag brake. Not sure of the opinions of it, but there have been a few threads in this section about them...

Bah! Totally forgot about the Outcry Duuuuuuuude; good call
Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

nope , but i be dam if ima let it pass me up for only 50 bucks tho , thats for sure! thanks Duuuuuuuude , sorry for the smart ass comments and words i put towards you! just alot has been going on here lately and its finally taken its toll. im really sorry.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
nope , but i be dam if ima let it pass me up for only 50 bucks tho , thats for sure! thanks Duuuuuuuude , sorry for the smart ass comments and words i put towards you! just alot has been going on here lately and its finally taken its toll. im really sorry.

No problem. Sometimes I forget to take my tampon out too.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No problem. Sometimes I forget to take my tampon out too.
yes , mine just happen to get stuck tonight!