Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Glitching problems....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Glitching problems....

Ok so over the weekend I picked up a "new to me" crawler that came completely RTR and with a ton of extras!

Well I of course dove straight into crawling! Well after about an hour or two of playing with it I noticed that it was glitching everyonce in awhile, nothing too major so I didn't think much of it, just would lunge forward or backwards or it wouldn't respond at all, but it would only be for a second or so.

Well now it has gotten worse! I didn't get any manuels or any sort of instructions with any of it so I'm looking for help.

I have an Airtronics MX-3S controller and a Novak XRS ESC.

The other odd thing is everything I've read about the Novak is that it is suppouse to have a brake and mine is either forward or reverse, if I leave the controler in "neutral" it rolls.....

Nick
Rocfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

its the novak rooster crawler that has the brake, not the normal rooster.
the glitching could be many things, caps on the motor, esc near the motor/batt? RX by the esc? bec? what servos/motor?
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
its the novak rooster crawler that has the brake, not the normal rooster.
the glitching could be many things, caps on the motor, esc near the motor/batt? RX by the esc? bec? what servos/motor?
It's not the rooster it's the XRS Sport http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/xrs/xrs.html

the ESC and RX are right next to each other on the "battery" plate that is on the ax-10 (which is what I have), which is just above the motor which is the Integy 55turn, the servo is a Hi-Tech not sure which one, the batteries are split half on the front axel on the servo and the other half on the back axel....

Nick
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Check your transmitter batteries, sometimes low tx batteries can cause some screwy problems.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I assume the display that shows the battery full is for the transmitter so I assume they are new. But I could be wrong, that display might be showing me the battery on the truck.

But it's just kind of wierd that it was fine the first day and now it does it almost all the time.....

Nick
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ok I took some more pictures...here's a link to the pics of the eletronics....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../RC%20Crawler/

Nick
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

try moving your receiver away from the esc a bit and route your antena as far away from the esc as possibly.my rooster did the same thing and this fixed my problem.also that esc as far as i can see has no drag brake.

Last edited by bigheadandmoose; 05-18-2010 at 09:37 PM.
bigheadandmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Humm, ok I'll take some zip ties tomorrow and move them around and see if that makes a differance....

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Does your servo work ok when the glitching is happening? Was the glitching local to the throttle or was the whole truck just spazming?
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
Does your servo work ok when the glitching is happening? Was the glitching local to the throttle or was the whole truck just spazming?
Just the Throttle, the servo works fine....

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocfrog View Post
Just the Throttle, the servo works fine....

Nick

I don't know...

The only thing I can think of it you need to solder diodes (NOT SCHOTTKY DIODES! per manual) onto the motor or your brushes are worn out. I assume you traced all the wiring for a bad connection...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

If the motor doesnt have capacitors then install some, that might help.

I would also move the esc and rx to the top of the battery plate to see if that clears up the issues a little.

The XRS does have brakes but does not have drag brake like you think you are getting in a crawler esc.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Ok so maybe I should get some capacitors/diodes and install them. Now on to the NOOBIE question....how do I know what kind/size/type to install? It has been YEARS since I have messed with this stuff and don't remember this part....

The RX and ESC were on top when I got it, but running with out a body they were getting beat up and on the bottom it moves the weight down, but I can put them back up top if you really think that'll help....

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Most modern motors have a little circuit board with capacitors and resistors built on to the motor,either on top or the side of the end bell.

I cant tell what motor you have but you may already have this board on your motor.

If not, from memory, you can use .047 uF 16v ceramic capacitors from memory.

One thing I just noticed in your photos was the antenna that is laying down and passing by almost all of your electronics.
This too could be the culprit. Stand it up and see if things improve.

Last edited by SuperRoo; 05-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
Most modern motors have a little circuit board with capacitors and resistors built on to the motor,either on top or the side of the end bell.

I cant tell what motor you have but you may already have this board on your motor.

If not, from memory, you can use .047 uF 16v ceramic capacitors from memory.

One thing I just noticed in your photos was the antenna that is laying down and passing by almost all of your electronics.
This too could be the culprit. Stand it up and see if things improve.
I believe them motor is an Integy 55 turn. Look at pictures of the other Axials on this site it seems to be the motor that comes with it....

I put the antenna that way becasue it was just wrapped around the body post and I had see a few others set up that way but ok I'll move it....

Nick
Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Ok so I flipped the electronics back to the top of the plate and seperated them to opsitite ends of the plate, also semi mounted the antenna kind of like a standard RC car. Took it out for some crawling and it was still glitching not as bad but still doing it. Well about half way thru the crawl I notice the battery indicator was about halfway down and then by te time we were done the radio started beeping at me, so I'm going to pick up some new AA's and hopefully that's my problem!

Nick
Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok so I flipped the electronics back to the top of the plate and seperated them to opsitite ends of the plate, also semi mounted the antenna kind of like a standard RC car. Took it out for some crawling and it was still glitching not as bad but still doing it. Well about half way thru the crawl I notice the battery indicator was about halfway down and then by te time we were done the radio started beeping at me, so I'm going to pick up some new AA's and hopefully that's my problem!

Nick

Yes, low batteries will cause glitching on cheap radios. Also you might want to open the case on the reciever and see if where the antenna is soldered onto the circut board is freyed. I had one of my antennas hanging by like to strands of wire...
Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
Yes, low batteries will cause glitching on cheap radios. Also you might want to open the case on the reciever and see if where the antenna is soldered onto the circut board is freyed. I had one of my antennas hanging by like to strands of wire...
Well I'm not sure I would call this controller "cheap", but then again it's new to me and I don't know anything about it, and haven't read the manual I found on-line for it yet. But it's an Airtronics MX-3S, the only thing I thought that was weird was the fact that there is no receiver battery pack....

Nick
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
the only thing I thought that was weird was the fact that there is no receiver battery pack....

Nick
You dont need a receiver pack because the XRS supplies the power for your receiver and servos.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
You dont need a receiver pack because the XRS supplies the power for your receiver and servos.
Humm, interesting....

Nick