Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: mamba max and linking to my computer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default mamba max and linking to my computer

I have a mamba max. I have gotten it to work in vista with no problems in the past using just the USB cord. I lost the cord that I was using for it, and tried a similar cord. Now the computer woln't recognize it. The computer sees something, but not what it should.

Is there a "special" cord that goes to the max? I have several different cords that have the same standard mini USB end, but none have worked.

I called tech support, and they insisted that I have to buy the castle link to get it to respond to my computer. I know they are wrong, because 2 weeks ago I had no problems before I lost the cord.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I have recently have this problem with my laptop. I tried differnt usb cords and deleting the software and reinstalling with no luck. I also have the castle link and it will recognize it just fine but it will not connect to my mamba max. After spending hours and hours trying everything I could think of, I took my castle link disc and mamba max to my work computer. It installed flawlessly and hooked up perfect. Both computers run XP, go figure. Let me know what you figure out and good luck.
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

got a pic of where u were pluging the cord into the esc?

a usb cord is nothing more then a usb cord, the ends are just different shapes
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
got a pic of where u were pluging the cord into the esc?

a usb cord is nothing more then a usb cord, the ends are just different shapes
The USB goes into the only slot on the Mamba max that there is. I'm no idiot when it comes to computers, and this really has me pissed because I had it working with no issues at all before I lost the cord.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
The USB goes into the only slot on the Mamba max that there is. I'm no idiot when it comes to computers, and this really has me pissed because I had it working with no issues at all before I lost the cord.
I dont think he was suggesting you were an idiot but the Mamba Max that has the usb socket on the side can be connected via the standard mini usb on the side or via the servo lead like the other castle products that uses the Castle Link cable. This was a firmware update a few updates ago.

Do you get any lights on the MM when you connect the mini usb? Is it showing in the device manager when connected? Have you tried a different usb port on the computer?

I use the usb lead that I also use for my Olympus camera, portable harddrive and my Nokia phone on my MM, so there is no Castle specific cable that you have to use.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
RCC Addict

No insult taken. I'm an idiot on some things, and this is making me feel like an idiot.

I'll do some more trying tonight.

I got no lights on it when I tried, that is also how I knew something was wrong.

Spent about 30 min on it tuesday, but I'll try some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
I dont think he was suggesting you were an idiot but the Mamba Max that has the usb socket on the side can be connected via the standard mini usb on the side or via the servo lead like the other castle products that uses the Castle Link cable. This was a firmware update a few updates ago.

Do you get any lights on the MM when you connect the mini usb? Is it showing in the device manager when connected? Have you tried a different usb port on the computer?

I use the usb lead that I also use for my Olympus camera, portable harddrive and my Nokia phone on my MM, so there is no Castle specific cable that you have to use.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

When you open the Castle program there is a "trouble shooting" tab (one of the tabs), go there and go to that link they provide. It has info on how to re-install your drivers. I had the same problem and this worked like a charm... I know how frustrating it can get.
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I've been wanting to get a Mamba max and noticed that everyone who has one is using a PC. Is the program compatible with a MAC?
kalani1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm no expert in this area so use this advice as you see fit.

Any usb will work there is no secret there.
Any usb will power up the mamba max. This is where I believe your problem is. I think it was a coincidence that you lost the original usb the same time your mamba may have failed. I would start with unplugging the mamba from the receiver and try to get the mamba to light up from your usb. just like charging an old beat up cell phone you might put pressure on the plug one way or the other.
cro-magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I can't speak to the Mamba, but can give a "+1" to Vista and funky USB issues:
My desktop will randomly do similar things - it "knows" something is plugged in but won't read it, sometimes tries to install the device driver (again) or sometimes not, and sometimes it can take several minutes for the Manager to open the appropriate folder when using a USB memory device (if it opens at all). Often the PC will recognize that something is plugged in, but won't power the device (which could be your issue?).....sometimes a restart will fix this, sometimes a complete shutdown, and sometimes it takes a few restarts/shutdowns. This happens less often than not, seems totally random (I've not found a pattern), and is certainly a tad frustrating! This happens regardless of what USB port I try using. And finally, my PC did not do this the first several months of its life (I bought new)...

If it's not an untimely Mamba failure - it certainly could be a Windows thing.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Sometimes USB ports will corupt, try another.
Any USB 2.0 to mini USB cord will work.

Sequence of connection;

Before connection,

Make sure on//off ESC switch is turned on, (this shouldn't matter but I've seen it work this way once or twice).

Connect MM to Mini USB cord.

Plug USB 2.0 into computer.

Open proggy software on computer.

The software should open to a generic Castle window then change to a MM window.

If this does not work I would try another cord or USB port and even another computer.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The only computer I have working now is XP, my wife has an apple, and I have vista on my laptop, but the power cord is shot. XP is the one giving me fits. I'll work on it tonight an let everyone know if I threw the computer out the window.