Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: using two different turn motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
jwo
Rock Crawler

Default using two different turn motors?

well i ordered new motors for my rig a few days ago. came in today, but i only got one of them. i have big plans in a few days to go out crawling. well i cant crawl with just one. the problem is that i know i will not get the other one in time. i have a 35 turn kicking around, the ones i ordered are 45. would i be hurting anything esc wise by using the 35 and the 45 other then going at different speeds? thats the best i can come up with for this to get me by. or should i just cancel out and wait for the other one to come in? it sounds like a terrible idea, but what ever will get me by. i figure if its possible to use two different turn motors. the 35 up front and the 45 in the rear. what do you guys think?
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I doubt it would harm your ESC.....I have heard of people doing it. I don't know if its gonna work very well....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

pretty common, just run the 45 in the back like you said. It will also help with clodstall.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
jwo
Rock Crawler

alright . thanks. i got excited when i saw the package in the mail box, but soon as i grabbed it i knew there was only one. i dont know how well it will work but its better then nothing at the moment once again thanks for the replies.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

35 and 45 is a pretty big step front to rear. 35 and 40 would be better, but honestly. I'd stick with the same turns and run a larger pinion up front. Stall is not a bad thing. ever.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
35 and 45 is a pretty big step front to rear. 35 and 40 would be better, but honestly. I'd stick with the same turns and run a larger pinion up front. Stall is not a bad thing. ever.
Um, you didn't read the first post, did you? He's asking about using a 35t & 45t because his shipment was messed up and this is what he has available.

I say go for it, 10t is quite a big difference but if you don't like it you can get the other 45t as you originally planned.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John82601 View Post
Um, you didn't read the first post, did you?

LOL!!! Nope, I have ADD and don't like to read complete paragraphs!! LOL!!!

Sorry bout that, I see where you're going with this now...
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i ran a bully for probably 5 months with a 55t in the rear and a 45t in the front. i dont know if it was the best set-up but as far as any problems there were none. i ran this set-up first with a rooster and a punk dig, then went to dual sidewinders with 4pk and the different motors never became an issue. i am now running the same motor front and rear but if you just want to use it to get by i dont think that you will damage anything.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
pretty common, just run the 45 in the back like you said. It will also help with clodstall.
What's clodstall? Just wondering...
makaluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Clod stall is when one motor lacks the power to push/pull as much as the other one and the one with less bite takes the power. It is useful in cases. Searching will get you good results on it.

As far as running different turn motors, my Bully is running a 45T rear with a 13 tooth pinion and 35T up front with a 12 tooth pinion. Works very good in my opinion.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote