Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: lipo low voltage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default lipo low voltage

I have a 5000mah 2s lipo i run in my slash. The other day i ran it down till the voltage cutoff shut it down. When i went to charge the batt my charger just says low voltage and will not let me do anything. I am using an thunder ac6 and have been very happy with it. The low voltage cutoff for lipo shows 3.7 on the charger and i can not change it. The lipo cutoff on the vxl system is lower i believe. Other than a new charger that i can not afford right now what can i do to get this baby charged. oh yah the voltage on this baby is only 3.16!

Last edited by Jay2380; 05-25-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Jay2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #2

Try charging it as a NIMH for 1-2 mins, thats should bring it back up enough for you then to do it as lipo.
CJ665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ665 View Post
Try charging it as a NIMH for 1-2 mins, thats should bring it back up enough for you then to do it as lipo.
Do like the above stated...

Are you saying the totall volts of the 2s pack is 3.16v? Or 3.16 per cell? That pack is most likely toast if thats the totall voltage...
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Indeed, if the overal pack voltage is 3.16 it's most likely game over, and there's something significantly wrong with your VXL voltage cut off.

I'm not familiar with your particular charger but check the manual and see if it has a recovery mode.

If not, ask around to anyone that you run with or perhaps at your local shop and see if you can locate a Thunder Power 610c charger...it has a great recovery mode on it and may bring your pack back to life.

I've had good luck recovering a couple 3s packs for my buddies with mine.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ665 View Post
This will work....but it shouldn't take 1-2 minutes.....more like 20-30 seconds.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks much. I put it on nimh charge for a few mins and all went well from there. When I check the cell voltage after moving it to lipo charge the cells were at about 3.45, give or take a few tenths. So it tells me the cutoff on the vxl is lower than my charger likes. So everytime i run this rig am i going to have to do the same process, and does it hurt the battery or would it be beneficil to get a seperate cutoff alarm that is closer to the cutoff my charger likes. Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2380 View Post
Thanks much. I put it on nimh charge for a few mins and all went well from there. When I check the cell voltage after moving it to lipo charge the cells were at about 3.45, give or take a few tenths. So it tells me the cutoff on the vxl is lower than my charger likes. So everytime i run this rig am i going to have to do the same process, and does it hurt the battery or would it be beneficil to get a seperate cutoff alarm that is closer to the cutoff my charger likes. Thanks again!
Not good to continue along with that type of routine.

Save your money and just get a feel for the run time before the LVC kicks in, and you'll know when to shut it down.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
This will work....but it shouldn't take 1-2 minutes.....more like 20-30 seconds.
Yep, took 25 second last time I did it to get it recognized on my lipo charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2380 View Post
So everytime i run this rig am i going to have to do the same process, and does it hurt the battery or would it be beneficil to get a seperate cutoff alarm that is closer to the cutoff my charger likes. Thanks again!
You need a cutoff, you will kill that battery if you continue to do that.

As stated you should be able to notice when power drops and pull it in right away. LVC is the better option though.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Not to sound like i do not know but i dont. What is a LCV, how do they istall and where to get one? Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

lvc = low voltage cutoff.

the lvc on the speed controller should be at 6v or 9v depending if your on 2 or 3 cell mode. as for the charger, the 3.7v cutoff it has will be fore a storage mode.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hmm. As suggested in the first post, his VXL system has an LVC...

You know that little drop in power you thought you noticed a minute or two before the battery cut out? ...that's when to stop driving.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

sound like you have a problem with your vxl esc cut off and if you keep running the lipo past its cutoff it will danage the pack
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote