Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: CS80 & Stand-Alone Battery Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CS80 & Stand-Alone Battery Question?

I got my CS80 in today along with a 6V 1200mah battery, and was looking at the instructions with both. Question is- what is a BEC reciever? Is my stock Maxx reciever one of those?? Reason being it states to wire it up a certain way for a BEC reciever.

Also, in the adapter that goes from the Y-harness to the battery it's got all three wires- black, red, yellow. If the only thing it's getting from the battery is power why does it have a yellow wire running to it?

TIA, Jon
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

BEC reciever is simply a reciever that allows the use of a Battery Elimination Cuircut, or it recieves power from the ESC as apposed to a seperate battery.
Yes the maxx reciever is a BEC unit.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Why are there three wires going from the Y in the harness to the battery?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Y harness that came with the servo? My guess is that they simply send a standard harness and not one made specifically for feeding the servo.
Depending on the ESC you are using you may not have to set up the Y harness and such. One of my projects (almost done) uses a 1/4scale servo and I have no problems getting enough power to it without a Y harness directly to the battery; I am using a Tekin Rebel 2.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yea the Y harness came with the servo. On the back of the box it states- "For BEC recievers wire together using the Y harness provided. Follow the diagrahm-

RECIEVER

[ Batt ]
[ Ch1] ------------------------> Throttle control
[ Ch2] -----------------------------------------------------/-----------Batt
.................................................. .........................................\-----------Servo

Then it states- "For NON-BEC recievers plg battery directly into reciever, shown on diagrahm. Then plug servo directly into reciever.

I tried it for a BEC reciever first, because thats what you told me, and when I plugged the Y-harness into the reciever, with the batt on one end and the servo on the other, the LED on the ESC came on???? The servo worked fine, I played around with it for serval minutes making sure it worked ok. So I go ahead and mount the servo and make my draglink and get everything set up. When I go to test it I plug both the standard 7.2V into the ESC like normal and as soon as I plug in the Y-harness into the reciever everything starts acting goofy. Studdering going foward/reverse, and steering left/right??? I didn't know WTF was going on so I unplugged everthing imediately. I unplugged the batt. to the ESC and tried the servo by itself to make sure I didn't F anything up. Then I tried it for a NO-BEC reciever and the same exact thing happend. With just the servo and servo batt. pluged in the LED on the ESC came on again???

I tried just plugging in the servo directly to the reciever and just running off the 7.2V but it seemed to drain power extremely fast. I had a fully charged batt and with 2-3min of driving around the living room the streering was dramatically slowing down with a lack of power. Also, that just makes me nervous because the Hobbico recommends on the box that you don't run the servo directly into the reciever because it will draw too much current thought it. I don't think it has anything to do with the ESC, but more to do the with reciever??

Please help someone! This is driving me crazy.....

Last edited by RANOVRU; 02-10-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok, I just got off the phone with Hobbico and talked to a tech. He said the diagrahm on the back of the box is for a MSC set-up, not ESC. He said that if you want to run a "stand-alone" batt for the servo, or if you're worried about pulling too much current throught the reciever, that the only way to run a stand-alone batt. for the servo for a ESC set up is to cut the power wire going from the ESC to the reciever. Then use the Y harness and hook it up just like in the diagrahm.

He said that with what I was tring to do I was sending 6V from the stand alone to the reciever along with the 7.2V from the ESC to the reciever and that would definately be what was causing all of the problems and could have damaged something had I not unplugged everything quick. I was under the inpression that the Y harness was supposed to stop power coming from the reciever and send the power from the stand alone directly to the servo, but apparently that's not the case.

Anyway, what he said makes sense and doesn't sound like that big of a deal to do, I just wanted to get a second oppinion. He said that cutting that power wire going from the ESC to the reciever won't hurt anything else at all, it will just stop sending power fromt he ESC to the reciever to power anything. At this point the only thing I'm running is a servo besides the lathe, so it sounds like it should be ok....

Any thoughts on doing this????