Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Receiver or ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Default Receiver or ESC?

Hello, I have a SCX-10 TR an have a question about and issue I am seeing with it. When I use the stock transmitter to make the rig go forward I have to push the trigger forward, which is backwards from the Traxxas cars my boys have. I have no prior experience with RC's, so I don't what is normal, but the Traxxas stuff seem like the better electronic equipment so I am thinking they match the standard.

Anyway, if I reverse things so that it goes forward when you pull the trigger the speed control is very touchy/glitchy. The truck goes forward in a "lurchy" manner then as I pull the trigger more it will just shoot forward with no slow speed control. If I keep the radio in the stock configuration with push tigger forward to go forward the control is really smooth. I tried reversing the motor wires but it didn't help. I posted the problem over on the SCX-10 section and got some advice, but figured it was just crappy radio/receiver. because it didn't fix anything.

Thinking it was the stock radio that was not very good, I tried using my sons Traxxas radio that is the same freq and found I had the same problem, so it is not the radio. It must be either the receiver to the ESC. I did just pick up a 2.4 Traxxas radio and receiver from the F/S section and hope that will fix it. I am going to slowly upgrade the electronics anyway and wanted to go 2.4 but I was hoping the ESC would be ok for a while.

Any thoughts on the problem?
deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

try reversing the throttle channel on the radio first,,let us know what happens. the lurching motor could be a couple of things but try the reversed channel first.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I don't think it's the radio. If it works in one way it has to work in the other. So here is what it should be. Your ESC is considering your signal backwards. Try to reverse the throttle channel and if that doesn't help reverse the channel and also reverse the polarity of the motor. Get the manual of the ESC and reset it from scratch, forward neutral and reverse.... You will solve your problem. A stock ratio is not that bad... there is very little throttle response difference between radios, the big difference is in the ESC.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

uh,,,if he reverses the radio and the motor the truck will still be running in reverse,,one or the other,,right now the trigger pulled makes the truck go backwards,,,reverse the motor it will go forward,,reverse the radio it will go forward,,reverse both hes back to square one. i would also check the timing of the motor,,and make sure the brushes arent sticking,,pull on the little wire attached to the motor brush on each side of the motor and make sure it snaps back into the brush hood.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll try that. Reversing the radio caused the problem I described in the initial post. Reversing the wires on the engine allowed it to work in the correct direction as far as the trigger is concerned, but the brake would only work in reverse. I would try an esc reset, but I can only find install directions for it and not programing.

I will try checking the leads but I don't the brushes would be sticking as the car has fine slow control when the radio is set to make it mve forward when the throttle is pushed forward.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #6

Ok, I pulled on the wire leads at the motor and they seemed fine. I also reversed the + and - wires at the motor and it ran in the correct direction, but the brake only worked in reverse, which makes sense since the ESC doesn't know which way the motor is going. I found what instructions there are for the ESC here and they are not much help. Doesn't seem to to be away to reset things. I hoping someone with a TR will chime in and tell me if that is normal for the stock electronics or if mine if goofy. I'll try calling Axial today too and see what they say. Prob. shoulda tried that before
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #7

I think I solved the issue. Turns out all I needed was something called an FXR. Looks to have solved my problem.