Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Toughest brushed esc that can use 6s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Toughest brushed esc that can use 6s

I need to know what is the toughest esc out there that will handle 6s and a dewalt brushed motor. I am looking to install it in my traxxas summit. I just installed the dewalt motor and tested it with the stock esc and it works fine. But I want to use 6s on this motor and the stock esc wont do. HH wont do, it can't handle the stock motor I imagine it wouldn't handle the dewalt eather. I was thinking the mamba monster, but I don't understand if it can be used with brushed motors, and if so what os the max amp it will handle.
Any suggestion is welcome, any brand or model as long as it works with 6s lipos.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

BTW waterproof would be best...
Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=0&page=1

best out there and water proof is an option
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The mamba Monster may work but there is this one!
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=20&page=1
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
RCC Addict

X3

Holmes hobbies hands down. JRH is a great guy to deal with and will waterproof the ESC for you. The ESC is made for him by Castle Creations and can be programmed and updated via castle link.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
. HH wont do
why do you say this? if its the heat its nothing to go to Radio shack and pick up a little fan that will fit on top of it
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I installed 2 HH ESC in the truck with stock motor and they both cought fire... I know that john is a great guy.... he offered me 2 new esc in waranty, so I couldn't ask more from HH but the ESC is not capable of keeping up with the stock motor... I imagine the dewalt motor would be even worse. Anyhow I already had comunication with John and he was surprised as me that his ESC didn't handle it but unfortunately it didn't. So I need something that can handle a higher amperage. I don't know if the MMM is the toughest out there I know that the RX8 is one other tough one But none of this two are waterproof that I know of...
Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Well the hh is rated at 80 amps and if you need more than that wtf are doing, moving a car
Old 06-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It is likely the low resistance of the motor that is causing amp shoot through. Basically the motor is just too big, like using a 540 with a micro ESC- flirting with danger.

The monster max is your best bet. You could make a waterproof box or balloon for it. That is really about the only options. I still can't believe that my ESC won't take a 775 motor, but indeed it doesn't unless we had two fluke failures in a row.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Got Worms?

why don't you just take a servo and use it to control the esc the dewalt drill came with,
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Actualy nothing fancy.... The first HH burnt in about 3 ft of testing.... so it was imediate... on a 3S battery.... the second one lasted longer and was tested on 6S on the road... it lasted about 2 min before it cought fire... I know that it should have held up with a 80 amp rating, the strangest thing is that the stock traxxas ECX-2 works fine with the motor.... the only difference is that I am running 2 7cell nimh batteries and not the lipos. I think that the tekin is the best solution for me.... it has a 210 Continuos amp rating. Too bad it's not waterproof, that is what I was mainly concerned about. My HH esc where both the water proof version.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
It is likely the low resistance of the motor that is causing amp shoot through. Basically the motor is just too big, like using a 540 with a micro ESC- flirting with danger.

The monster max is your best bet. You could make a waterproof box or balloon for it. That is really about the only options. I still can't believe that my ESC won't take a 775 motor, but indeed it doesn't unless we had two fluke failures in a row.
Thanks john... anyhow I will have to make up my mind on ether one
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #13

lipos make a huge difference. They have much lower resistance than nimh and will pass much more amperage at a higher voltage.

You should have tested the second torquemaster on 3s instead of jumping to 6s. It is hard to say the cause of both failures now.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Oh no no wait I did test it on 3s first. Around the house. And it woked fine, obviously after frying one I was never going to push the second one on 6s. After I tested the esc on 3s I decided to test it ouside on the road on 6s and there is where it failed almost imediately (maybe 45 sec. run time).
Old 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #15

2x the voltage, 4x the current. You should have stuck with 3s
Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

well maybe but the first one burnt on 3s...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
2x the voltage, 4x the current. You should have stuck with 3s
So, does that mean your esc's are rated for 80 amps @ 2S, 3S, 4S, 5S or 6S? The figures that 99% of the manufacturers of ESC's give are a little misleading because they only quote the amp rating but dont give a voltage figure to go with that amp rating.

I dont know what the Dewalt motors figures are but the 775 has a stall current of (approx) 130 amps @ 18 volts and a max efficiency of (approx) 20 amp.

Something that norbyx didn't mention is if he changed the gearing to suit the 6S configuration. The gearing for 3S might have been fine @ 3S but double the voltage and staying with the same gearing may have also contributed to the excessive increase in current draw.

I do note that John lists the 80 amp continuous rating is for a single 540 motor and in this case would have a greater significance given the power capabilities of a 775 motor.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
RCC Addict

If you are really wanting that much power I would go Monster Max with the 2200 motor on 6s. You could even step up to the 1518 or 1520 series castle motors.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote