Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Trinity Monster Maxx "wild"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trinity Monster Maxx "wild"

Hi everybody, I just picked up a Trinity Monster Maxx "Wild Wind" 19T 550 motor. The guy at my LHS assured that it would be great for my SCX10, but I am having some doubts. For starters, I am running 14 tooth pinion with an 84 tooth spur, which I feel is a pretty conservative ratio(my stock 27T barely gets warm to the touch). After runnning one battery pack, the Monster Maxx was so hot that I couldn't even touch it! It actually radiated so much heat that my gearbox and driveshafts were surprisingly warm. Is this normal? I was just test driving it around the yard, and the speeds were nothing to write home about. Any Monster Maxx users out there?
Planespotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I've had 2 sets of the Trinity motors in my Emaxx's over the years and didn't have very good luck with either set.

What voltage are you running? Those are designed for 12v+. Does it seem like the motor is lugging or revving too freely?
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, but the motor is not the right type. I used these for the Losi CC after rewinding the arm. They spin to fast and have little torque. If you could put a 35 turn arm in it it would be great. Go with any hand wound 35 turn. and 13 or 14 tooth 87 spur. 3s lipo. Killer setup.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planespotter View Post
I just picked up a Trinity Monster Maxx "Wild Wind" 19T 550 motor. The guy at my LHS assured that it would be great for my SCX10,
That guy's a prick. On the correct voltage those motors run pretty well, but mine devoured brushes and were a lot of maintenance. I'd go with a speedgems 19 single and 7.2V battery, or the 35t and 3s if you have lipo.
BDKesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKesling View Post
That guy's a prick. On the correct voltage those motors run pretty well, but mine devoured brushes and were a lot of maintenance. I'd go with a speedgems 19 single and 7.2V battery, or the 35t and 3s if you have lipo.
a buddy has the 21t that i gave him after i went brushless in my losi in his honcho and it works great on 2s his gearing is 87/16 great wheel speed and tons of torque on the 2s lipo but when you put 3s to it the slow speed suffers a little it gets a little coggy, and it does eat through brushes really fast i put a new set in it before i gave to him and he has run about 3 weekends the brushes are almost gone.
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Those monster maxx motors were some of the worst ever made. Constant maintenance, replacing brushes, comm cuts, power hungry, inefficient, etc.

The 27t on 3s is really nice but on 2s I would go with a 35t.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planespotter View Post
Hi everybody, I just picked up a Trinity Monster Maxx "Wild Wind" 19T 550 motor. The guy at my LHS assured that it would be great for my SCX10, but I am having some doubts. For starters, I am running 14 tooth pinion with an 84 tooth spur, which I feel is a pretty conservative ratio(my stock 27T barely gets warm to the touch). After runnning one battery pack, the Monster Maxx was so hot that I couldn't even touch it! It actually radiated so much heat that my gearbox and driveshafts were surprisingly warm. Is this normal? I was just test driving it around the yard, and the speeds were nothing to write home about. Any Monster Maxx users out there?
check the timing
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I was so underwhelmed by the performance of the Monster Maxx that I just put in a cheapo Integy 35t with a 14 tooth pinion, and use 7 cell packs to get wheel speed. I am actually pretty happy with this setup. I can't wait to go 3slipo! Anybody want to buy a Monster Maxx cheap?
Planespotter is offline   Reply With Quote