Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dual esc, MOA wiring ISSUESSS! wtf!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default dual esc, MOA wiring ISSUESSS! wtf!

Ok, so I fried an ESC with this setup, called castle and got them to replace it. Super excited to get it a week later (today) I hook it up, solder the deans on. Program it to match my other working one. No go. I still only have power to one axle. So, I do some flipping around of the wires, the new ESC will power each of the axles when it's hooked up to then independently... But the old one will not do anything except flash what I think is the yellow light... So as I go to flip around some more stuff to try to isolate the problem, I fry my ar6110 rx. So to say the least I have no f*(@)g clue what the issue is, because everytime I try to isolate it, something smokes... So, I have included my wiring diagram, crude as it may be. Anyone with any answers to this or thoughts, what to do's pleaseeee come forward. I'd like to NOT smoke anymore electronics.

motors are JP warrior r/t's

I'm running a dx6i, which I'm starting to think might be causing some of these issues... but again, I don't know and have about had it with this whole thing. I have another rx for another rig, but I'm not about to hook it up and fry it too... NSJHGKHSBJAOSFPW"eoq[9r38298ukhnegmfb,;d's
d

anyone in so cal that can help I'd gladly meet up with you and buy you some carls jr if you can help me figure this out. or if you have a gun to shoot me with to put me out of my dual esc misery, that might be a second option.
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i myself wouldnt be running the receiver off both speed control bec's, id pull the red wire from one. some people say its fine, but being your not running servos off receiver power there really isnt a point in using both.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

Yep, you have bothe ESC's powering the RX, that fried it! Pull the red wire from one of the ESC's so that only one is giving it power. Or run another BEC to the RX and pull both red wires from the ESC's
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

So, was it a matter of current or voltage that did it? I assume that they can't possibly provide 2x voltage, because the voltage is limited by the battery/internal BEC...

But they can each send out current that will be double, being more than the rx can handle?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I am about to do a twin stick set up on my MOA myself, I can see in your diagram that you have too many wires in all directions, like a battery pack with dual connectors.

I hope someone would start a thread on this set ups, with how to's included in them, good luck to ya.
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
ghetto fabulous newbie

You have your elevator and throttle mixed in the dx6 right?

I run both esc powering the rx with no issues.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Dragon View Post
I am about to do a twin stick set up on my MOA myself, I can see in your diagram that you have too many wires in all directions, like a battery pack with dual connectors.

I hope someone would start a thread on this set ups, with how to's included in them, good luck to ya.

too many wires in all directions? The battery is split to two esc's. How else could this be done without a y-connector of sorts?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

First thing is remove one of the power wires to the rx, I have heard of that causing problems for some people, although some say they run it that way without problems, but that's a lot of power to run through the circuitry of the rx. Try that first and see what happens, then let us know.
cbtu0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Who's your Daddy-0!

Guys it simple really. There are several threads on how to wire this up. I have mine set up like this......

2 ESC's with both red wires pulled and shrink wrapped back plugged into the RX. 2 Servos with BEC's to each and the signal wires going to the RX. Another BEC coming off the battery going into the battery slot on the RX. And of course the motors wired to the ESC's.

Or the above member can leave everything the way it is and just pull one of the red wires from one of the ESC's and that will power the RX.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
You have your elevator and throttle mixed in the dx6 right?
No, as of now I have both mixes set to not have any effect whatsoever on either throttle or elev. Mostly because I do not fully understand them.

What does mixing them do? I've read about mixing both esc's to one stick, but I for now just want each stick independently controlling each esc... If there needs to be mixing for that, then I'd love to be pointed in that direction.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

yeah you definitely over volted the RX,,that also probably caused the problem with one working and the other not.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
MODERHATER™

I plug both of my ECS'c into my receiver. Kinda like you have shown.

My question is what do you have hooked up where?

Are you trying to drive each axle on a different gimbal? Or both on the same?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I plug both of my ECS'c into my receiver. Kinda like you have shown.

My question is what do you have hooked up where?

Are you trying to drive each axle on a different gimbal? Or both on the same?
Pat, do you have both ESC's power wires plugged into the RX also? I don't see how that won't fry the RX? I mean that's the same as leaving your ESC power wire hooked up to the RX while running a BEC to the RX.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have:
front esc in elev
rear esc in thro
front servo aile
rear servo rudd

and yes the idear is to have the fully independent control of each axle on each gimbal.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

From what I have read, most all have no idea what they are talking about.

Let the ESC's power the receiver, Isolate the servos from the receiver/ let the external BEC's power the servos and all will be good. All you need is the signal wire going into the receiver.

On all my rigs I have the ESC's BEC powering the receiver, and my external BEC usually CC BEC('s) powering the servo/servo('s)
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Let the ESC's power the receiver, Isolate the servos from the receiver/ let the external BEC's power the servos and all will be good. All you need is the signal wire going into the receiver.

On all my rigs I have the ESC's BEC powering the receiver, and my external BEC usually CC BEC('s) powering the servo/servo('s)
Isn't this exactly what is shown in the diagram?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
MODERHATER™

But you don't tell how your radio is set up.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Honestly I know very little about the radio....

What things need to be known? The mixes are as follows:

mix1
gear -> gear ACT
RATE D +100% U 0%
SW FLAP TRIM INH

mix2
gear -> gear ACT
RATE D + 50% U 76%
SW FLAP TRIM INH

Differential
INH

Flaps
all 0

D/R & Expo
all untouched

Any of this worth the time in typing it out? haha
Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:

That's what I said! You just don't need both ESC's powering the RX, pull the power wire from one of them. The RX doesn't need 10v of power! That is prob what fried his RX!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
That's what I said! You just don't need both ESC's powering the RX, pull the power wire from one of them. The RX doesn't need 10v of power! That is prob what fried his RX!
I'm in agreement that both red wires was probably a bad call... but my earlier question... do the voltages really add like that?? If the esc puts put 5v, at 3A or whatever... wouldn't it just be 5v at 6A??

the way I'm thinking about it is, if you only have 5v to begin with, and you split it in parallel then run it to the same thing again in the end, you don't have 10v, you have 5??