Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual ESC set up issues..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dual ESC set up issues..

Ok, so im having issues with my Dual ESC set up. I have been trying to figure it out for a while now and its getting really aggravating.
Running 2x FXR with a 4PK set up as Harley suggests. With his set up, the mix is set to -100 and should be = power to front/rear, but i have to dial it down to -50 in order to get them to spin together while on stands and no friction is on the wheels. I put it on the ground and you can tell the rear is dragging a bit still, and then when i go into reverse the rear wont kick in untill i really hit the gas. I have tried to dial the mix enough to where rear is over powered in this situation and nothing helps.
I have checked the pinions to see if they might be set differantly as well.

Im runnning out of ideas here.. My battery lead off of front ESC is 80mm and rear is about 140mm. Could this be causing a problem?
My 1st time using paint so
Attached Images

Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Pinion mesh too tight on the rear? Have you tried pulling the motors from the car and testing them to verify that this isn't a drivetrain issue??
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Pinion mesh too tight on the rear? Have you tried pulling the motors from the car and testing them to verify that this isn't a drivetrain issue??
I have messed with the pinions already, and im not sure how i would check anything by pulling the motor. I see they are working but i dont know how to tell RPM or anything if thats what you mean.
Unless you mean checking the comm or what not.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Try recalibrating the esc's?
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattymojo View Post
I have messed with the pinions already, and im not sure how i would check anything by pulling the motor. I see they are working but i dont know how to tell RPM or anything if thats what you mean.
Unless you mean checking the comm or what not.
No, pull the motors and plug in the battery, then set your radio to the proper settings and see if the motors will start spinning at the same time. It sounds like you might have some binding in the rear somewhere.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Check your trims, %, epas and neutral widths on both the radio and esc, then recalibrate the escs at the same time.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

esc's were set at the same time using hotwire.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I took the rear motor out and hooked up a brand new motor with the same results. So there is no way it could be the motor or pinion acting up.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattymojo View Post
I took the rear motor out and hooked up a brand new motor with the same results. So there is no way it could be the motor or pinion acting up.
Did you verify it by bench testing BOTH motors while out of the truck? Remove them and set them up as if they were on your truck....then run them....at the same time.

You could have other issues causing binding in your axle. Take the axles out of the equation. If it still acts the same, then you know for certain that it is a radio or ESC issue.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
20K Club

If everything is like I suggested that this isn't a radio probelm. However if you didn't start with a clean model you could have had old settings messing with my recommended setup.

So you need to do a few things to try and trouble shoot.
  • Try swapping the leads from one motor to the other. If the front is slower now then you know it's in the ESC.
  • With the motors removed spin the axles by hand and see if you feel binding. If one is tighter it will amplify the clod stall.
  • Start with a clean model memory in the radio and reprogram to make sure you didn't have some old setting messing with you.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Harley, everything was brand new so no old setting. BUT, i did a factory reset on the FXR's and it seems to be working while on stands atleast. Im going to go play on the rocks and see what happens.

*Just got back from testing and it worked pretty well. Everything else fell apart, but the esc's worked well

Last edited by Fattymojo; 08-12-2010 at 04:01 PM.