Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MaxAmps Battery Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MaxAmps Battery Problem

I tried posting on the MaxAmps Board, but do not have permissions to post a new thread.

I purchased two 3S LIPO batteries from MaxAmps. One has worked flawless. The newest one I purchased gave me an error that voltage was too low when trying to charge. I contacted maxAmps, as I purchased the 300 cycle warranty, and I sent the battery back for repair. They returned the battery back repaired, but the return invoice stated it no longer had a warranty . I "stored" the battery, used it once. Now, when I go to charge or store, I get the same error that the voltage is too low.

Has anyone repaired one on these on your own? I was wondering if I could charge the low cell(s) individually up to a level that my charger can take over. Right now, it just errors out, and does not attempt to charge.

I really don't understand why I have no warranty any more, as the old battery lasted about 15 cycles, and after repair, one more cycle. But, I will show my displeasure by taking my business elsewhere.
John Galbreath Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

As far as the low voltage deal, I've run my lipos below cut off a few times. I've switched my charger to NiMH and charged the pack just for a few seconds to bump the voltage back up above 3V per cell. Then switch the charger back to lipo and the correct settings for that pack, hooked the balance tap up and let it charge. Never had an issue.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Here is another idea, though I would not recomend trying this with a severly damaged battery.

Use a deans parallel plug, available at the hobby store, and jump the bad battery with a charged good one for about 3 to 5 seconds. This should be more than enough to raise it above the minimum level to charge it on lipo settings.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

the reason they cut your warrenty is because the cell was under voltage when it got back to them. now was the pack like that when you first bought it from them??? if so, id make a big deal over it. if you have run it and it was fine for a few times and this keeps happening, check your voltage cutoff settings, maybe try upping them to 3.2v if you can. other things to consider, are you balance charging the packs??? what charger are you using??? how are ytou storing the packs???
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
the reason they cut your warrenty is because the cell was under voltage when it got back to them. now was the pack like that when you first bought it from them??? if so, id make a big deal over it. if you have run it and it was fine for a few times and this keeps happening, check your voltage cutoff settings, maybe try upping them to 3.2v if you can. other things to consider, are you balance charging the packs??? what charger are you using??? how are ytou storing the packs???
Before I sent it back under warranty, they had me check the voltage, so they knew it was low before I returned it. It worked properly for about 15 cycles, so I assume it came to me with the correct voltage when new. My voltage cutoff setting through CastleLink is 6.0 volts. Yes, I am balancing the packs using a Hyperion EOS060Si AC/DC charger. I am using the store feature on the Hyperion after running. Letting them sit till I run the car again. Charge batteries and go play.
John Galbreath Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galbreath Jr. View Post

I purchased two 3S LIPO batteries from MaxAmps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galbreath Jr. View Post
My voltage cutoff setting through CastleLink is 6.0 volts.
3 cell cut off should be set at 9v.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I put mine in the freezer until it was able to be charged again and it never had a problem after
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote