Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 1/4 scale servo???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Default 1/4 scale servo???

im building a superbully/jpcustom rig and was wondering what the pros and cons are of 1/4 servos(other than price/oz ratio). i havent found a 1/4 thats comparible to the hitec7980th(oz wise). so i think im locked in on that but just wanna hear some twocents on the subject.-Lazy
Lazytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Size is the killer.

It will be very difficult to out shine that 7980 no matter how hard you try.

I hope servos get smaller and more powerful here in a while. Seems like new technology might have that in store for us in the future. No idea how, but I foresee it.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I run a couple of Hitec 1/4 Scale servos on my Clod Super and i kind of regret it. Although i got two 5745mg servos for less then the price of one brand new so i couldnt pass it up. I regret it because of the sheer size of them. Its like fitting 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lbs bag when i had to mount them on my Clod axles. But i thought bigger was better.....not so much. Although they are kind of good but they do lack the power i want.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

it depends on your overall goals. the new hitec 5755 (just a multiplex rhino in a black case) is a great servo for a decent price. its digital, 347oz/in and .15sec. what a bigger servo has over the standard size stuff is a larger motor, bigger geartrain. i find they have better center strength, and more start up torque than a smaller servo of the same aprox. rating.

from what ive seen is 1/5 scale touring car guys are starting to smaller servos for steering, however most run dual hitec 7955. a single 7955 has plenty of torque for a 1/5 touring car (typically 250oz/in is enough) but the geartrain just doesnt hold up. havent heard of guys using the new 7980 for this job, its got the torque but again, hard to say if the geartrain will take it.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

thanks guys! i figured those were the downfalls, i just wanted to make sure before i drop 175 on a 7980th. is there any other servo cranking out similar oz to the 7980(possibly by JR)?
Lazytrain is offline   Reply With Quote