Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Reversing motor timing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Reversing motor timing?

I have an AX-10 with an Integy 35t motor, and a Tekin FX-R speed control.
I turned the transmission around so that the motor is toward the front, so I had to swap the motor wires polarity to allow the speed control's forward and reverse settings to be correct.
Am I damaging anything by running the motor primarily backwards? Should I try to change the timing to compensate, or does it even matter?
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Swapping the wires works, but depends on the timing setting....you should rotate the endbell 180 degrees and then reset the timing that way.....then wire it up normal and yer good to go.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

The Integy 35T motors from the factory have 0 degress of timing. So it wont hurt to wire in reverse. If you do want to keep things straight in your head there should be a small timing mark under the screw molded into the endbell, take a permanent marker and mark the location before clocking to make sure you end up in the right spot when lining things back up. Remove the brush springs, loosen the screws on the endbell and clock it 180 degrees.
Banditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yep, just make sure you don't have arcing on the brushes. If you do, just advance the timing a few degrees until the motor speeds up and the arcing goes down.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the help.

Now that I know that motor is set at zero degrees to start with I'm not as worried about damaging it.

If it all ends up working the same I'll leave the end housing the way it is with the wires reversed. All the wires are attached and zip-tied up all pretty. I don't feel like tearing into it right now. Maybe in a few days.

So far I don't see any arcing, so I think it's ok.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Hey I'm using the HH ESC and 35t sport motor. I started off adding +7 degrees of timing before I installed the motor, then had to swap the motor wires so the truck runs forward when the ESC is lit green.

So here's my question: is my motor running forwards or is it actually running backwards? I haven't noticed any arcing at all.

Btw, this is with the stock axial tranny.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you don't have arcing under forward throttle, it is likely timed advanced. To double check, see if reverse sounds slower- it should.

The problem with identifying "forward" with a shafty is that you could install the motor plate on either side of the axial tranny, which gives a 50/50 chance of having it "right". On top of this, the skidplate can be installed two ways, which also gives a 50/50 chance of having it "right" according to the instructions. Timing the motor via sound or amp draw and RPM is much more reliable, because it is always right.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote