Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need Help Installing Tekin's FX-R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need Help Installing Tekin's FX-R

Hey everyone...., are there any tutorials out there any more helpful than the instructions that come with the FX-R? I've never soldered anything before and the instructions that come with it are all just a bit confusing to me as im still very new to the "upgraded" crawling scene.... do i need to buy banana connectors? how exactly does the power capacitator and the wires provided all connect together?

just wondering if there were even any video on someone installing one, as i learn quicker visually, and i just purchased one with a cheaper soldering gun and solder and am very excited to get out there and use it but, just want to make sure i install it the right way, sorry for the newbie questions, thanks for anyone who may be able to help!

just in case,
http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/FXManual.pdf
inebriatedmarmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I hate to discourage folks from trying new stuff but soldering a fxr isn't a good place to practice soldering. Too much heat on the posts is the best way to destroy a fxr. I would find a buddy who knows what they are doing or pay someone to do it. Then practice soldering on other stuff.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

oldhippie!

This was exactly my concern and figured that I may eventually will have to do that and drive out further to a (better) hobby shop and see if they can do it as I don't know anyone else personally who shares the same interest/has experience. been crawlin' solo.....

and i suppose there aren't any other instructions out there...

Either way, Thanks for the advice! appreciate it, man!

and will def get some more exp under my belt before tackling any other more fiscally weighted soldering jobs, heh

Last edited by inebriatedmarmoset; 08-20-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Soldering an FXR is not that bad, but like oldhippie said if you apply to much heat to the FXR it could have bad effects. Whoever you have solder the capacitor and wiring up, make sure the capacitor is install the correct way. The blue side of the capacitor goes to the negative side of the battery posts.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
RCC Addict

i know how you feel, i took mine to lhs for a very small fee $10-15 is worth it
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You should buy some spare wires and connectors and practice before trying anything on your FXR. It shouldn't take too much practice to get decent at soldering. The first time I ever soldered or had even seen anyone solder was when I was building my RC. I practiced for maybe an hour or two before I starting on my RC and it went together perfectly and runs like a champ. Here are things online that helped me learn and allowed me to solder my entire rig up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhmzY5wQAA

http://media.photobucket.com/image/t...cs/WIRING2.jpg

Basically, The first thing you want to do is to note where each wire goes. The two poles on the right are going to go to the + and - of the motor, the left 2 will go to the battery, and the capacitor will go onto the poles that go to the battery.

One key thing you have to remember when soldering the FXR is to never hold the soldering iron onto the posts for too long(I had a 30 watt iron and 10 seconds was the longest I held the iron to a pole while warming the pole up). If the soldering didn't work during those 10 seconds, you can try again after the pole has a little bit of time to cool down. So basically all you have to do is to just pre-tin the wire ends and the slots on the poles(if you watched the video you will know what to do to pre-tin). Then just place each wire in it's pole slot and place the iron tip on the wire until the solder melts together. Just repeat this on each pole. Then just cut the capacitor wire ends to the length you want them, pre-tin them, and solder them to the proper poles. Be sure to read the FXR instructions. And like was said by another poster, the blue side of the top of the capacitor is the side that goes to the black wire(negative wire to the battery connector).

Last edited by BadRockNoCookie; 08-20-2010 at 12:36 PM.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Learning to solder is not overly hard.....run down radio shack, buy some solder, a decent little iron (look for a weller), and some wire. Buy some misc connectors too....and go to town. Some flux is helpful when you are first starting too...

Just remember, heat the item, not the solder....keep your tip clean (steelwool or a wet sponge work well)....

Practice makes perfect, but your FXR is not the place to practice....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys! thanks so much for the awesome advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Illusion View Post
Soldering an FXR is not that bad, but like oldhippie said if you apply to much heat to the FXR it could have bad effects. Whoever you have solder the capacitor and wiring up, make sure the capacitor is install the correct way. The blue side of the capacitor goes to the negative side of the battery posts.
yeah, Cruzin n chicos, will def take my fxr to a lhs and have them do it correctly, hopefully to be able to observe how it's done correctly too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
You should buy some spare wires and connectors and practice before trying anything on your FXR. It shouldn't take too much practice to get decent at soldering. The first time I ever soldered or had even seen anyone solder was when I was building my RC. I practiced for maybe an hour or two before I starting on my RC and it went together perfectly and runs like a champ. Here are things online that helped me learn and allowed me to solder my entire rig up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhmzY5wQAA

http://media.photobucket.com/image/t...cs/WIRING2.jpg

Basically, The first thing you want to do is to note where each wire goes. The two poles on the right are going to go to the + and - of the motor, the left 2 will go to the battery, and the capacitor will go onto the poles that go to the battery.

One key thing you have to remember when soldering the FXR is to never hold the soldering iron onto the posts for too long(I had a 30 watt iron and 10 seconds was the longest I held the iron to a pole while warming the pole up). If the soldering didn't work during those 10 seconds, you can try again after the pole has a little bit of time to cool down. So basically all you have to do is to just pre-tin the wire ends and the slots on the poles(if you watched the video you will know what to do to pre-tin). Then just place each wire in it's pole slot and place the iron tip on the wire until the solder melts together. Just repeat this on each pole. Then just cut the capacitor wire ends to the length you want them, pre-tin them, and solder them to the proper poles. Be sure to read the FXR instructions. And like was said by another poster, the blue side of the top of the capacitor is the side that goes to the black wire(negative wire to the battery connector).

and badrock, thanks for the links and the extra instruction, exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for to help reassure myself later. Going to keep all this in mind when watching them install it and will refer back to it for future exc installs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Learning to solder is not overly hard.....run down radio shack, buy some solder, a decent little iron (look for a weller), and some wire. Buy some misc connectors too....and go to town. Some flux is helpful when you are first starting too...

Just remember, heat the item, not the solder....keep your tip clean (steelwool or a wet sponge work well)....

Practice makes perfect, but your FXR is not the place to practice....

Later EddieO
and yeah Eddie (also badrock), thanks again for the tips, my next step will be to practice, practice! Since i do plan to upgrade to deans across the board eventualy...though can't you always just use some flux to insure to better wet out the parts to be joined all the time? or is it just until you get good enough where you don't need it anymore?

Again, thanks all, for all the newbie help!!!!! love this site!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What i always do when im worried about overheating things, is to hold the wire you are soldering about 2" or a bit less from the solder point, and if it gets real hot to the touch, you need to let it cool down
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote