Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: xl-5 braking question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #1

Default xl-5 braking question

I just bought a Traxxas xl- 5, the braking is crap. Can something be done to help this ? Is there a way, to boost the amps increasing braking power, or set up some kind of switch? or, is hitting reverse, for braking? I bought a XL-5 yesterday, thinking that it had a better brake, for crawling or stopping.
stoneface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #2

It should have a perfectly capable brake. How's the reverse power? Have you calibrated the ESC against your transmitter? If you have, have you since tweaked the transmitter trim or EPA, or expo, or ATV, or ...?
el_tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Are you talking about drag brake? The brake should work just pushing the trigger forward.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There are many people that use the XL5 as their scaler ESC. It handles all brushed motors up to 15T, waterproofed already, and can take 3S no problem.

If you want you can program the ESC in reverse order so that you have zero delay to go into reverse. The downside is after reversing you have to double tap to go forward but it does help with your braking issue.

The only thing is you have no drag brake and no lipo cut off.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #5

Going into reverse doesn't always solve the problem, like when you are on a steep decent, and end up doing a front flip because the car is so nose heavy. I'm also interested to hear if there is a way to improve the braking, I also run a xl-5, and I have always just dealt with the crappy braking, but it would be nice if it could be improved.
Tyler C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #6

At the middle neutral point. When the throttle trim, is turned, just barely, it'll start to squeal either way.as same with the trigger. I tried the reverse tweaking, tuned it back to factory settings. As far as performance goes, braking aside, I can't complain to much. Water proof, and the profile settings. The training mode go tried, because it's got a 100% braking. along with 50/50 power cut, thinking that that might help the braking weakness. As I've read, in here some where, Good finger control can work just almost as well as a drag brake. The only thing the drag helps with, is steep inclines. rock gardens, creek beds, it works nicely. At some point, a thrasher truck. Put the receiver in a balloon, Drive it through creeks and not worry. i'd like to know, the mini erevo & 1/16 scale, is that the smallest rc car it'll fit in?? with a 540 size can. I know that's slightly off topic,it came to me as option. I wonder, if that combo, will work in a mini t w/a 3s lipo.....lol

mods so far added
To: Axial scorpion

Integy roll cage.
red springs on front (super soft). white on rear (soft /Losi)
clearance links ( off brand)
stock shock, axles, tires, wheels, w/ wieghts in wheels frnt/rear
upgrade kit pivots and screws
stock tranny/ no mods
Futaba MS T2PH transmitter/ receiver
XL-5 esc
Axial 55t motor
Hiech 645 servo
13/14/16/21 pinions
87 tooth spur
in process of changing out, ring screws with studs/nut
coming in future replacement parts
front alum spindles, and change to Flat Irons,
different wheels
metal drive shafts
stroner axle housings
over drive the front diff
maybe a dig
screw pinion haven't decided frnt or rear or both
maybe a dig
mby tube chasis(moon buggy style)
a upgraded esc (not sure which one) That'll depends if get the screw diffs. then no drag brake needed or use along w/ brake possibly
staying brushed but adding lipo
not in order of list..
Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The xl-5 has no drag brake, instant reverse, lipo cutoff or adjustability. Really a terrible crawler esc! If all ya care about is waterproof get a ballon, liquid tape for the stock axial esc or better yet a HH torquemaster.

Last edited by oldhippie; 08-22-2010 at 10:52 AM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

I just so happens. that it's water proof. it's just a temp esc. XL-5 going in a boat I have. i'm doing some looking around, to see who has a good esc, on this forum. I'm not much of a splasher. A non water proof esc is fine. The balloon trick, I've herd of. That was done at the factory.My problem is, I'm a really impatient with my hobby stuff. The Mamba. the rooster, or the HH torque master. Money is a limiting factor. So I look for inexpensive electrics. Be fore, One is bought, I look on this forum first. always. If some one, has a good used esc I'm open to that path also. I know with electric stuff, new or used electrics go out at any time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by stoneface; 08-24-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
The xl-5 has no drag brake, instant reverse, lipo cutoff or adjustability. Really a terrible crawler esc! If all ya care about is waterproof get a ballon, liquid tape for the stock axial esc or better yet a HH torquemaster.
been using the XL-5 on all my scale crawlers for years now, and I think it works great, just got to learn it, but if your talking a comp crawler like his set-up then I would agree, it's not the best esc to use.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote