Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Proper LiPo Disposal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Proper LiPo Disposal

Several have advised that to properly dispose of a LiPo, you should make a strong mix of salt water, and fully submerge a battery into it. The salt water will conduct the pos and neg and slowly discharge the battery into the water. When the battery is spent, it can be safely thrown in the trash.

This is what I've been told by several quite reliable sources, so this is what I did. I mixed a pound of salt into two quarts of water and dropped in four 1300mah 3s packs out in the garage and went inside. An hour later, I came out to find this.

No smoke, no sulpherous or chemical odor, just black water and grey foam.

What happened? I won't take the batteries out till morning, some of them are still bubbling away like they should be. I expect I'll find one opened up.

Damn Motorola Droid takes a halfway decent picture....

Last edited by blue10; 08-25-2010 at 11:13 PM.
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Just don't use the droid to crawl...

Everything I've read says to leave them in for a week...not sure if it takes that long.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Takes about 24hours to fully discharge.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good to know. I have some that I think I should get rid of before they take a dump on me.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Also, a pound of salt in 2 quarts is more than likely overkill on the salt to water content. You just need a little to make it conductive for DC voltage. Those packs are "over discharging" in the water which is why it looks like that. A steady stream of bubbles is normal.

Also, please dispose of them properly, they still have lithium in them when they're completely discharged. Lithium is bad for water supplies and most landfills. Just like taking your used motor oil to an auto parts place or other, these guys need to be disposed of properly.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnss View Post
Also, please dispose of them properly, they still have lithium in them when they're completely discharged. Lithium is bad for water supplies and most landfills. Just like taking your used motor oil to an auto parts place or other, these guys need to be disposed of properly.
Oh really, I kept hearing once they were flat, they were inert and trash can was fine. What is the correct disposal then? Fire station? Best Buy? Neighboring town's water supply?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Like a boss...

Try your LHS. At my store, we use a free recycling service for batteries and take batteries for customers all the time.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post
Try your LHS. At my store, we use a free recycling service for batteries and take batteries for customers all the time.
Ah! We've got BatteriesPlus++ nearby...they ought to take them.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
RCC Addict

So giving them to Smokey to drive a spike through is not a proper disposal technique?
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

We have a service here that takes paint, paint cans, oil, antifreeze, lead, mercury, lithium, etc. You bring your water, electric, gas bill with you to prove that you live in the city and they take it for free. They also advertise that they take the CFL's too. Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs. I think anywhere that takes those will take the lipo's that are discharged completely. Look up "Cell phone recycling" in the phone book, anyone who takes those deals in lithium disposal.

Not that I haven't thrown my fair share of shit away, but now that it's mainstream, it could become a problem.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
So giving them to Smokey to drive a spike through is not a proper disposal technique?
Smokey suggested I do that a couple days ago. Right before he told me to use a lot of salt.... He got the first copy of the pic in the OP. His response, "Holy shit that's crazy" Very helpful Smokey...

Now I got that witch's brew looking pot of black toxin sitting in my garage with who knows what going on beneath the surface. No problem though, thanks to the helpful folks in this thread, I now know I can take that pot of unholy water and my pickled batteries down to the city to have it all properly introduced into the water supply.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Everyone else was to chicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue10 View Post
Smokey suggested I do that a couple days ago. Right before he told me to use a lot of salt.... He got the first copy of the pic in the OP. His response, "Holy shit that's crazy" Very helpful Smokey...
If my memory serves me correctly I told you to shoot it with a BB gun and or to use a decent amount of salt in a 44oz cup! In no way did i tell you to use a pound of salt.
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
Everyone else was to chicken

If my memory serves me correctly I told you to shoot it with a BB gun and or to use a decent amount of salt in a 44oz cup! In no way did i tell you to use a pound of salt.
Oh yea....I was thinking the pellet gun was for the toad that went under my car, which by the way, the dog got the next evening and had to be flushed again.

As far as the pound of salt, well, I upped the recipe to serve more batteries in 2 quarts of water. I come from an Italian family, that's how we cook.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

So, have ya taken the batteries out yet? What happened? What do they look like? First time I've seen this done, I've got a bunch all ready to burn my house down!

By the way, that's a great looking brew ya got there. Add sugar, bottle it and let it ferment for a couple weeks, then invite the in-laws for a BBQ.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Ok this morning all the gray in the water had settled to the bottom. Looks flakey, like some kind of heavy ash.

I pulled the batteries out and they all are even more puffy and dangerous looking than they were before. But I found the culprit to the mess.

The "top" one of these cells is completely deflated....but it's still off gassing a little.

Now what am I supposed to do with these?

What am I supposed to do with the water?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
RCC Addict

1st: up your home owners insurance
2nd: leave the house, with all your crawlers of course
3rd: don't do this $hit again
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I think I might mix it in with my used motor oil. That stuff is filtered like mad in recycling and all the crap left behind gets incinerated. That ought to take care of it....??
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
sim
Quarry Creeper

Why you throwing away the Deans?
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Our local Lowes has a battery drop off that says they take lithium. It just says they have to be bagged separately. Doesn't say anything about being discharged or anything else.
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote