Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What can damaga a Punk Dig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default What can damaga a Punk Dig?

Bought a used Punk Dig from a member on here. Didn't come with instructions, but I did install it correctly and it works flawlessly. Is marked Rev. 2.
I like it enough that I want to know how to make it last. Heard of people burning them up and needing to send them in for repair.
It's installed in a BJV3 with Eritex MOA, 14T pullers, MM Pro, 4s battery. DX3R with Aux epa's at 100%.
What do I need to do to avoid damaging this unit? Been beating on the rig with no thought for mercy until I read the last couple pages of the Punk RC thread.
Is it ok to dig for extended periods? Constant switching back and forth? Is their a voltage limit that I need to worry about when setting the BEC?
Etc.
Thanks.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Mine have failed from hard falls...probably from something grounding out on a chassis screw when the dig came loose.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The only failure that I've experience was user induced. I had the leads bent at a weird angle and one came unsoldered. When I tried to resolder, I messed something up with my crappy soldering skills...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
RCC Addict

If you are running your dig off of your rx voltage from the ESC, it will probably be from 5.5 to 6.0 volts, that is the best voltage to run it at.

If you are running it seperately, keep it at 6.0 and you should be fine.

The dig unit itself has 2 relays. These relays have contacts inside that make and break to control your motor circuits. After many cycles, relays,(being mechanical) and their contacts, can and do fail.

Note that I said many cycles. I work with relays every day and life spans differ from one to the other. These units still haven't shown their life span yet, but should last a long long time, even with alot of switching back and forth going on.

Keep in mind that like any device, damage from water, physical damage from the outside, electrical damage from shorting or miss-wiring can and will happen and will stop the unit from working properly.

IMO, these units are worth every penny, and will last along time.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The only thing I have seen happen to the Punk digs are traces getting burnt. That is an easy enough fix (based on soldering skills). Run it, enjoy it, protect it! Like anything else in this hobby it can and will eventually fail. Keep it out of water, keep it clean (some rock can have metal in it that can cause a short) and keep it protected from physical damage. Keep the voltage @ 6 Vdc and it should last you a good long while!
prophetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks for the replies people, all were helpful. Been away for a time, first chance I had to get back to this thread.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote