Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need help on motor and esc combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need help on motor and esc combo?

I want to go brushless, but then I know that brushed is better sometimes

I am down to the tekin fxr combo 35 turn

or the goat 3s 18.5

I have the goat in my scaler and it cuts out all the time because of the sensor wire. So i am just wondering what other people are thinking.
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

What's it going in? Guessing ax10? Will need a bec if using a high torque servo with the fxr.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

The BEC in the Novak isn't that great either, I'd prefer the FXR just because the ESC is smaller, easier to fit in different places. I had the 2s Goat, and it worked fine, I just think the FXR is more versatile.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

how often does one need to cut the comm on the motor though? I dont have a lathe and really dont want to get one haha
Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Why don't you go with the Tekin brushless set up?..You get the smaller ECS foot print and less maintenance on the motor
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

If you wanna stick with a brushed set up,you might consider a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL and a TorqueMaster Pro Handwound.

You'll end up with one of the best handwound motors available. The ESC crushes the competition specs wise....easier to install,no motor limit,6s capable,fully programmable and no extra BEC needed. It'll also come out cheaper so you'll save some coin. Also,buying from John,your getting great customer service from a stand up guy that's supported our hobby from day one.

Last edited by Reflection; 08-28-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Even one of johns sport motors would be great with that esc if you can't swing for a handwound.

Not sure on cutting the comm...I've never done it but motors have lasted atleast a year or more and I'm not easy on them. a new motor is cheap enough to replace the whole thing and I'm sure john could cut it if you sent it in.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardetto View Post
Why don't you go with the Tekin brushless set up?..You get the smaller ECS foot print and less maintenance on the motor
didnt know there was a brushless tekin crawler set up
Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
didnt know there was a brushless tekin crawler set up
Not crawler specific but the best sensored esc for a crawler! Tekin rs/21.5-17.5. Smooth (for brushless) and crazy power on 3s! Ya can also run the mamba pro sensored, but its not as smooth on the bottom. Either way run a ccbec too.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Lathes are cheap and easy to find now used, as they are not used by racers anymore.......pretty much every racer had one, but now they all run brushless...

Cutting a comm is fairly easy, there is tons of tutorials and I am sure there is a video on youtube....

As for how often you should cut it, well....you guys should be taking better care of your motors.....

First, not caring for it makes it fail faster....you guys are pretty hard on them, so they wear pretty quick....

Second, you are losing performance....nasty comms and worn brushes don't give optimal perfomance....

Third, you are losing drag brake as you call it. As the brush wears, it becomes shorter....a shorter brush with the original spring is going to receive less tension from the spring. Less tension= less pressure holding the brush against the comm, which reduces that holding power you all like....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote